Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

850 xp paint coming off

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 xp paint coming off

I wanted to take a couple of the big white stickers off, so I warmed it up with a hair dryer, just warm, and on my last white sticker some paint came off with it. Lovely. Anybody else have this problem? I doubt if warrenty will cover that. However, it shouldn'nt come off that easy, but I know its plastic. Be Careful if doing this!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Trailblazer

Well this is probably not the answer you wanted but I know in my owners manual it said the dealer will give your replacement stickers for free if the come off. You could put a new sticker over the part that is missing paint.

This really kind of sucks as I was looking to take mine off too. Looks like I may pass on that. I know I was reading in another forum that on some models Polaris was applying the clearcoat over the stickers making removal difficult and downright scary

Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
DCT
Banned

Yep, if they sprayed the clear over the stickers, the base coat would probably come off pretty easy... depending on how cured the base coat was before they put the stickers on.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Kind of funny, the back of the four wheeler was clear coated after the stickers were put on and you can see the square after the sticker was removed. The front was clear coated before the stickers were put on and that was what peeled, the last sticker I took off in a little spot. I think the paint was not cured before the sticker was put on. I don't see why they wouldn't wait until everything was good and dry and clear coated to put the huge safety stickers on. Mine was made in december and is the stealth black.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda makes a Sticker to fit directly over that........J/K...LOL....LOL.
........Caper.......
You could just put a small aftermarket part sticker on there like Nascar has on the fenders..........Caper.......

Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
........Caper.......
You could just put a small aftermarket part sticker on there like Nascar has on the fenders..........Caper.......
Haaaaaaaa. It won't be a honda sticker, even though I got a 1982 big red that won't die! I would like to get some matching paint to touch it up and then cover it, but I wonder if it is available yet.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Pro Rider

It should not be an issue on the camo models should it? I was going to try the hairdryer method as well.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by tookypook
Kind of funny, the back of the four wheeler was clear coated after the stickers were put on and you can see the square after the sticker was removed. The front was clear coated before the stickers were put on and that was what peeled, the last sticker I took off in a little spot. I think the paint was not cured before the sticker was put on. I don't see why they wouldn't wait until everything was good and dry and clear coated to put the huge safety stickers on. Mine was made in december and is the stealth black.
I think the square is molded into the plastic as a guide where to put the stickers and is not caused from the paint. BTW, I have a red 850 and had no problems removing my stickers....except for them coming of in many pieces that is!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
........Caper.......
I put a couple Honda stickers on my Predator when I bought it. I was very loyal to Honda due to the 250x that I owned. Only reason I came over to Polaris was I got a killer deal on a Predator. Guess it worked cause I have owned 5 Polaris' since.

As for the stickers, I have had more trouble with taking them off than leaving them on. Either you can still see where they were, or you end up scratching the plastic or paint trying to get them off. I have left em on the Sportsmans so far. Probably wont take em off.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The thought I had is that you can get smoke colored clear contact paper. I'd put it on the white stickers if I had a camo quad.

Quick Reply: 850 xp paint coming off