Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

bad rear wheel bearing on 02 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad rear wheel bearing on 02 scrambler

I am trying to replace the rear wheel bearings on my 02 scrambler 4x4. I have the axle assembly out of the the swing arm and in the vise and I can not get the nut off either side of the hub assembly. I have tried about everything and neither side will give. We tried some heat with a torch and it moved a little but not much. What is the trick to getting the the threaded nut/hub off one or both sides. I have done this job on older honda three wheelers so I am familiar with the general idea but this one has us stumped.

And one little bit of advise, the bearing and race assembly was $13.xx at my local sturdevants auto parts store and the local stealership charged me almost $19 for just the bearing. The brand of bearing and the numbers matched exactly.

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only way i know to get the nuts off is to cut it off..cut into with a cuttin wheel till your just about threw it. then get a good cold chisel and give it a few good wacks making it go in the direction to take it off...that should break it loose...i have yet to come across one of those nuts that will come off...and thats using 2 18" pipe wrenches and a 5lb sledge

Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

i use two 2 ft pipe wrenches one on the axle against the floor to keep it from moving one on the nut with a 3ft bar on the end , heat it up red hot and stand on the 3ft extension and cross your fingers, i had to use the cutting wheel on mine the first time i did it
oh and you only need to take apart the sprocket hub side and slide the axle out of the carrier from the rotor side leaving the rotor and nut intact
reassemble with anti-seize on the threads

Old 05-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a feeling this was going to be the answer. I had a pipe wrench and about a 4' cheater bar and the bench started moving and I said thats about enough. When we heated it, it got red hot and then I could move it about 1/8th of a turn and that was it and that only lasted about 3 tries and that was enough heat. I hope I can find a new blade for my cut off saw.

thanks guys

Old 05-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I use a drimmel with a cutting wheel then split the nut the rest the way with a chissel