Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Building the Glacier 3 opinion needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default opinion

I'll take strength over easy hook-up any day. For what a plow costs they should last with some maintenance cost but not the issues folks have run into with the Glacier II's. I have a Glacier I that is currently on my 09 800 and spent the previous three years on my 05 800. I live in northern MN so this thing has seen some major abuse and has not broken yet. Just upgraded to a 60" Razor blade. It was a big deciding factor for me not getting an 850 XP when I got my new machine this year.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would ask a moderator to check this persons IP address because this is just someone that probably already hads an account on here and just wants some attention. I bet the IP address matches another username.

The new Polaris plow has already been designed but won't be released for a year or two.

Not trying to cause a issue here but I dont want people getting their hopes up thinking that this is legit....

Old 06-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a swisher in the past. It was really heavy, tough, built like a truck plow! The mount system was ridiculously complicated and basically prevented me from riding it otherwise due to it's bulkiness.

I have used a glacier 2 plow for a couple of seasons now. I quickly bent the plow mount. I had a friend straighten it and strengthen it by adding some 1/2" metal to it all the way around the bottom of the plate. It has held up without a problem. It did not sacrifice ground clearance. I like the fact you really don't even know it's there! I have to say I love the quick mounting system as I do like to ride my atv in the winter as well as plow snow with it. I have the plow mount on both of my sportsmans so I can use either atv by quickly attaching the blade. The blade seems strong enough, but I do notice where you change the direction of the blade seems like it may bend easily, but it still hasn't, fortunately! Then again, I don't plow as much snow as some others on this forum!

For me, I don't care as much about the cost as I do the strength. I'm one of those who only want to buy something once. I also don't like the down time. When you need to plow you need to plow and don't have time to re-engineer something!

Thanks for asking for our input! That is way cool!

BTW, any suggestions for extending the plow to fit a track system?

Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

the g2 there is a kit to make it longer for the tracks.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by chuck_raduenz
the g2 there is a kit to make it longer for the tracks.
Thanks! I'll have to ask my popo dealer about it......

Old 06-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by firehog
BTW, any suggestions for extending the plow to fit a track system?
I had the Polaris Glacier 2 on my 08-800 with tracks. It requires an extension and a push tube style mount. Unfortunately they don't make a bracket for the XP yet, I still have my 800 bracket and have been talking to a local metal shop about fabbing up a similar plate designed for my machine.

Here are some pics of the plowsetup on the 800.

The extension:

The mounting Point:

Putting it to work:

Resting for the night....Waiting for the fish to bite:

The next mornings drift in to plow thru:

Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by SomethingFishy
I had the Polaris Glacier 2 on my 08-800 with tracks.
Great shots Fishy.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah you go fishy! Those are great pics! But, that's definitely not a gun in the gun rack! LOL!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by firehog
Yeah you go fishy! Those are great pics! But, that's definitely not a gun in the gun rack! LOL!

That's my trusty Mad Dog Ice Auger Carrier and Strikemaster Ice Auger. The plowing pics are taken 5-12 miles out in the middle of a frozen lake. Either Upper Red Lake in MN or Lake of The Woods, MN side to be specific.

Name:  l_8ee310c564724a129bbf78510ae93b06.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  20.2 KB

Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

I Nice pics, I bet you could plow just about anything with that set up

Quick Reply: Building the Glacier 3 opinion needed.