Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Building the Glacier 3 opinion needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the Glacier 3 opinion needed.

Good day,

To start with i am not to the liberty to say when this new frame will be released or what is the name of the compagny i am working for. the only thing i can say is that the new glacier 3 will be my making of most part in term of conception. Here are a few question for you guys and girls.

What are your priorities when it come to a plow. Rapid mounting. strength of the plow itself price also is a big thing.

Before i end this i am looking for constructive comments

Have a nice day

Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Trailblazer

Defenitely price on my end followed by a close strength. I dont currently own a plow but before this coming winter was planning on investing in one. After its all said and done some owners have quite a few bucks stuck into their plow system.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

For me the choice was easy.Just search and you will find the good and bad of the Glacier's and other plows set-ups.
I choose a strong proven set-up,that's made in America and uses quality fasteners.
Price was not and object,even though my set-up was alot cheaper than the Glacier's.
Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

i built my own. the wear bars that are on most of the atv plows are pretty cheazy. i put a 1/4" thick wearbar on mine when i built it. the reason i built mine was to say i built one, i didnt have no money to go out and buy one. and i only spent about $20 on mine building it anyways.

as far as info to build one. id say if it was a fast mount it be nice. but an easy mount is great. but if the rapid/easy mounting compomizes strength. id say strength is more important.

this is also an idea that if i had the money id buy. power left/right/straight/up/down all on one switch. it be nice but not a need. im also guessing it be kinda spendy.

iv also seen alot of issues with the glacier mounts. them useing self tap bolts. thats a dumb idea. youd think if youd spend a few $100 on a plow theyed have better hardware. there being cheap, but thats over the line.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Range Rover

I think the G2 mount they have for the xp's works extremely well and seems to be very sturdy..I like it better than the G1 I had on previous Sportsmans.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Seriously we tested the glacier 2 prety hard and we never bent a single mount plate seriously. when we did impact tests we always bent the frame never the mount plate itself. as for the self threading bolts.. look under the ATV there is not that many bolts to attach itself to.

Keep the good coments coming

Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Range Rover

Not too sure how constuctive this is, but PLEASE design something that is NOTHING like that wretched POS the Glacier II. If you couldn't damage yours, all I can assume is that you were plowing snow in Florida.

I had a Glacier 1 on a previous machine which saw way more use and abuse and never had a problem. I think the key to a more rugged set-up may be to transfer the loads from the plow more evenly and further back along the frame. The Glacier II transmits all the forces of the plow straight up to the weakest point of the frame, right at the front bottom. The front corner of my 07 X2 is pushed all the way up into the bottom of my radiator due to the completely inadequate design of the Glacier II mounting bracket. The plate which extends back to the single bolt in the middle is utterly useless, and after 2 straightenings I'd be tempted to just cut that part off if I ever intended to put that miserable thing on my ATV again. The small bar that attaches to the frame with the self-tapping bolts also is bent like a horseshoe.

I bought the Glacier II because I liked the Glacier 1, and figured a plow set-up designed by Polaris for their own ATV would be a quality product, worth the $500 I spent on it. WRONG. IF I ever put another plow on my Sportsman, it will be an aftermarket brand with a mount that more effectively transfers the load of the plow back to a stronger part of the frame. It may not be quite as easy to attach, but I'd trade that inconvenience for a unit that won't fold up like a cheap lawn chair and damage my machine in a heartbeat.

My appologies if this sounds bitter in any way, but the Glacier II is in my opinion a dismal failure in engineering.

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by skunksquasher
Not too sure how constuctive this is, but PLEASE design something that is NOTHING like that wretched POS the Glacier II. If you couldn't damage yours, all I can assume is that you were plowing snow in Florida.

I had a Glacier 1 on a previous machine which saw way more use and abuse and never had a problem. I think the key to a more rugged set-up may be to transfer the loads from the plow more evenly and further back along the frame. The Glacier II transmits all the forces of the plow straight up to the weakest point of the frame, right at the front bottom. The front corner of my 07 X2 is pushed all the way up into the bottom of my radiator due to the completely inadequate design of the Glacier II mounting bracket. The plate which extends back to the single bolt in the middle is utterly useless, and after 2 straightenings I'd be tempted to just cut that part off if I ever intended to put that miserable thing on my ATV again. The small bar that attaches to the frame with the self-tapping bolts also is bent like a horseshoe.

I bought the Glacier II because I liked the Glacier 1, and figured a plow set-up designed by Polaris for their own ATV would be a quality product, worth the $500 I spent on it. WRONG. IF I ever put another plow on my Sportsman, it will be an aftermarket brand with a mount that more effectively transfers the load of the plow back to a stronger part of the frame. It may not be quite as easy to attach, but I'd trade that inconvenience for a unit that won't fold up like a cheap lawn chair and damage my machine in a heartbeat.

My appologies if this sounds bitter in any way, but the Glacier II is in my opinion a dismal failure in engineering.
Just chiming in here, the XP G2 is great but the older Sportsman G2 is problematic from all I read. I don't think the G2 on the XP can be improved OTHER THAN ADDING SOME HEFT TO THE BLADE ITSELF. I use it commercially and tore the box end off the first time I used it. My fault. Other than that excellent.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 PM
DCT
Banned

The Glacier II on my Sportsman 500 was a piece of junk! Plowed my driveway about 6 times and the mount was bent up like a pretzel. Granted, I have a 275' rough dirt/rock driveway... not a little paved "sweetheart" to plow.

My dealer sold the entire system, and I used the money to by an Eagle plow system. I plowed the driveway at least another 6 times, moved 20 tons of topsoil this spring, and 14 tons of #3 modified with the Eagle system... not a bend, dent, or hint of failure... just keeps plowing.

The Glacier II concept is great. However, being easy to put on and take off, and being lighter than the competition is no good if the ENTIRE system won't hold up to a little abuse. The XP's seem to be doing better with the Glacier II. That tells me that the engineers didn't do their homework on the other models... or they tested them in the Polaris parking lot. LOL

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

The XP G-2 mount has worked great for me so far! I used it all last winter. The only real complaint I have is the cheap skid shoes they put on the new plows. I had to order the heavy duty ones from the dealer. One other thing that could be improved is the height of the lever used to angle the plow. It should be longer so you don't have to dig it out of the snow to get to it!

edit; I did have to modify the plow frame to be able to get the ATV-Guru front brush guard to fit!

Quick Reply: Building the Glacier 3 opinion needed.