Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Sportsman 500 Carb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Sportsman 500 Carb Questions

Hoping for a little help, I'm looking for the air/fuel adjust screw which is suppose to be 2.5 tuns out on the carb of a 03 sportsman 500. On the bottom of the carb there is a hole with a brass plug in it (see attached image), this brass plug has a pin hole in it, is the air/fuel adjust screw in behind this brass plug? If so, any advise in removing this plug? As well, I've got fuel comming out of my overflow hose on the bottom of the carb, can anyone tell me how to adjust the float on one of these carbs as it is not the regular float that I'm used to seeing in a carb? (number 49 on link, fuel and air/carburator)

2003 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A03CH50AA/AC/AD/AE/AH/AJ/AU) OEM Parts, 2003 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A03CH50AA/AC/AD/AE/AH/AJ/AU) OEM Replacement Parts - BikeBandit.com

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails 03 Sportsman 500 Carb Questions-carb-002.jpg   03 Sportsman 500 Carb Questions-carb-001.jpg  

Last edited by 03 Sportsman; 08-28-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: inserting image
Old 08-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone able to give advise to my questions? I'm starting to get frustrated with this quad and the problems I'm having with it.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the brass plug is the correct pilot screw then most people either take a small drill to enlarge the hole and then stick something in there to pry out the brass plug to get at the screw. as far the float goes isnt there a tab where the needle set that can be bent to adjust? have really seen one apart for awhile so guessing here.

Last edited by stendori; 08-29-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply stendori, I will drill and pry the brass cap to ensure a 2.5 setting, as far as the tab on the float goes, it's a plastic tab which can not be adjusted - not like the carbs I've worked on that are a metal and can be bent. The manual that I have is a Clymer for the 2003 Sportsman 500 and it shows a metal tab for adjusting the float height - which does not add up to what I have. Maybe if anyone has a polaris service manual for this make and year it might give the proper procedure? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats weird as the 08' book says to bend the tab to adjust the float level so the float level is 13 to 14 mm.plastic tab sounds weird?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for clearing that up for me stendori, I went out and pulled of the bottom of the carb off again and I do have a metal tab to bend for float height adjustment, I don't know what I was looking at the last time I had it apart. As far as removing the brass cap for the fuel/air mixture setting screw, I'm planning on getting to that tonight.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I set mine to 13.5mm (Float Height) by bending the tab in the float. The brass plug I drilled it till it spun out and now I can adjust the pilot screw. Do me a fav I had my carb out 100 times trying to get it to stop spitting fuel out the drain tube. Mine would spit fuel when i reved it up above 4500rpms to about 5000rpms when parked. Next time your out try it on yours and let me know if it does it???

thanks

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will do Ragelite, mine spits fuel out of the overflow tube at idle, so hopefully setting the float so it sits lower in the float bowl not letting in as much fuel will fix the overflow problem? How exactly do you measure the 13.5mm (from where to where)?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider

This is from my service manual I have for my 2004 600 twin. Ill send you a copy.

FLOAT HEIGHT
ADJUSTMENT
1. Place the carburetor on a level surface as shown
at right to remove weight from float arm. In this
position, the float tongue will rest lightly on the
inlet needle valve pin without compressing the
spring.
Float Height:
Std: 13--14 mm (.51--.55 in)
2. Measure the height from the float bowl mating
surface to the top of step in float . Both
sides of float should be parallel to each other. The
measurement should bemade at themid-point on
the top of the float using Float Adjustment Tool
(PN 2872314) or a vernier caliper. When
measuring the height be sure the inlet needle
valve spring is not compressed.
3. If adjustment is necessary, bend the tongue
slightly. Be sure floatmeasurement is even on left
and right side.
Bend to adjust
float

Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info Ragelite, greatly appreciated. I went thru and adjusted the float as you outlined, blow out every port, removed every screw/jet and blow them all out, put it back together and gas is still leaking out of the overflow at the bottom of the carb and I still have a bog until the machine gets good and warm (10 - 15 minutes). I'm thinking about putting in a new drain screw to see if that will fix the fuel from flowing out as the one in it looks to be slightly damaged.

I went ahead and took the fuel pump apart thinking that if my bog is fuel related it could be the fuel pump, I've attached pictures of what I found, I'll clean it up hopefully tonight and give it a test drive to see if the fuel pump was the problem.

Attached Thumbnails 03 Sportsman 500 Carb Questions-img_5144-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 03 Sportsman 500 Carb Questions