Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler special chain? (Quick help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler special chain? (Quick help)

Decided to replace the chain on my 04 scrambler 500 4x4 today. Called local polaris shop (dont know ANYTHING by the way) and I was told my wheeler may require a special 76 pitch chain? If so, a normal scrambler chain would not fit onto my sprocket. Every other place I search says ALL chains are interchangable from 98-2009. Whats the deal? Anyone hear of this before? Also reading that better off with a non oring chain vs an oring one. I mostly ride trails, mud, and winter riding. Any input before I order the wrong chain.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by PUSHNF8
Decided to replace the chain on my 04 scrambler 500 4x4 today. Called local polaris shop (dont know ANYTHING by the way) and I was told my wheeler may require a special 76 pitch chain? If so, a normal scrambler chain would not fit onto my sprocket. Every other place I search says ALL chains are interchangable from 98-2009. Whats the deal? Anyone hear of this before? Also reading that better off with a non oring chain vs an oring one. I mostly ride trails, mud, and winter riding. Any input before I order the wrong chain.
The 04 does call for a 76 pitch chain. Its your money ,but I've had customers that have bought non o-ring chains and have come back and replaced them with the recommended chains. O-ring chains just last longer if taken care of,the o-rings help isolate wear from the side plate links,have less stretch and are quieter. We stock 84 and 88 pitch chains as the smallest package size which a lot of older machines used, then we also have them up to 120 links,plus you can cut it down to fit. You dont have to special order a 76 link chain,most shops will cut them down for you! I do often. Also a lot of if not almost all of the Scrambler 500's(havent checked all of em) use a 76 pitch chain. Plus most shops can order bulk chain in any lengths! OPT

Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

As far as the oring chain versus a standard chain. My Oring chain lasted 6 years, 500 miles...I was in a pinch and no dealer within 100 miles so I stopped at farm supply store, they matched the chain up, same link size...they cut to length and handed me a master link. Only it's a standard chain, non oring. Yes, it is a little louder, I hear it once in a while in reverse but don't really notice it forward. This chain has been on my machine for 5 years now, 700 miles, so it's lasted more miles than the oem chain. I keep it well greased and it's held up great. I notice no premature or uneven wear on the sprockets, and to be honest it hasn't needed to be tightened or stretched any more than the oem chain. It's been fine. If I need a new one I'll go right to the farm supply store and buy another for $10. I surely would have purchased a oem chain if it was available at the time but I have no issues with the standard chain bought at the farm supply store. My experience anyway.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

buy a high quality x-ring chain, xw-ring chain. rk chains are the best deal. most of those chains will come only as short as 90 links. so you will have to shorten it.
I've got a modded 400 with a did x-ring. hardly ever even adjust it.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Trailblazer

No problem with money. Just want a good chain that fits. Bikebandit lists different part numbers for an 03 and 04 chain. Just made me wonder. I was going to order a o-ring chain of ebay for 98-09 scrambler 500 which I assumed was already at the correct length. Just concerned that they said all years fit but bikebandit claims the 03 and 04 chains are different. Local dealer cant tell me anything thats not written in there book. Took them 3 attempts to get me the right axle nut. So Im assuming based on OPT post that there is no real difference between scrambler 500 chains. Will check again after work so if someone knows otherwise please let me know

Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the best deal you can on a 520 Oring chain and cut it to fit.I use a die grinder to grind off pins then a punch to knock the pin out.Be sure to run the eccentric all the way forward before measuring.On your first try get and extra master link in case you cut short