Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Head light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light Mod

So I just put together the 3 head light mod and it works great.....anyone out there have any issues once installed? I read that the diode gets really hot. The best part it only cost me $9 at home depot for the goods!!!!

Thanks

Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mod

If you bought a small diode you may have issues. I did mine with a relay and have yet to see any probs. I think there was a thread a while back about issues with the smaller diode kits.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Pro Rider

Could you explain how you did it a relay??? If your way is better then Ill switch. I talked to a guy where I bought the diode and he said that I could use two 3 amp if I didn't have a 6 amp diode which is what Im running. Im going to look at it tonight and see how hot its getting. But I couldn't find any threads on here about issues.

Thanks

Old 09-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Mod

What year is your wheeler?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

2004 Sportsman 600 twin

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the 3 lite mod. last winter in troubleshooting an (unrelated) wiring issue with the pod lite. It turned out that the power wire to the lite was worn thru from the handlebars rubbing on it, but I thought the mod. was to balme so removed it. That diode does get very hot indeed! The black shrink wrap rubber tube I put on there was fried crispy. So I decided just to leave it off for safety reasons...I don't ride much at night anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 06 450 Sportsman and would be interested in this mode using a relay can anyone post a link on how this is done.

Scott

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mod

Here's the headlight and reverse over-ride mod!
Reverse mod- pull the headlight pod off and disconnect the two harnesses going to it. On the big harness locate the gray/orange wire and use a splice connector with another 8" piece of wire and have a female spade end connected to it. Now do the same with the brown(ground) wire coming off the lighter/accessory plug. Hook the two female spades to a toggle switch that you can mount on the pod and you are done. You will have to turn the switch to the "off" position to use the yellow override button to scroll through the different modes or if a young or inexperienced rider is on it for safety.

Three headlight mod- you will need a common relay from an auto parts store(I used a five pin because they are most common and came with a wiring harness), four 8" pieces of wire, and splice connectors. With the headlight pod off and the two harnesses unplugged you will need to splice the followoing wires:
#30 on relay to the green wire coming from the harness on the left handlebar
#87 to the positve wire on the lighter plug
#86 to the yellow wire coming off the top headlight harness
#85 to the lighter ground(brown wire)
Once it is all connected you should have all three lights on when switched to HI.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

two harnesses unplugged???? Where are these? Im not great with wires and all this stuff, the way I did was to easy. But this sounds like the better way to go!

Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mod

The two harnesses are what plug into your speedo. Very easy to get at when you pull the headlight pod off.

Quick Reply: Head light Mod