Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 Sportsman XP850 Rear Axles

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:23 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Sportsman XP850 Rear Axles

Hello,

I own an 09 Sportsman XP850 and have a question in regards to the rear axle. My first question is the black paint (The end that connects to the differential), for some reason, it's already starting to flake off. My machine has just over 300 miles on it and I'm wondering if you are having the same thing happening to yours. To me, it just doesn't seem right because it's practically a new machine. Maybe it's not a big deal but to me, I'm a little concerned.

Just looking to hear your comments or suggestions on the subject. Other then that, there are no complaints on my end.

Another question off the subject...Is there a product out there that would keep the engine, axles and virtually anything underneth the machine clean after washing it? I clean this machine after every ride with soap and water but I'm wondering if there is anything on the market that would get rid of the dirt color on the engine and exhaust.

Thanks again for your comments

Pete

Old 09-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry can't help with an 09 but my 05's axle paint still holding up great...

John

Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!

My axles on my 2009 550 xp had paint coming off..Pulled them and painted them with black expoxy appliance paint..so far the expoxy is staying on..2700 miles..

Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Range Rover

my paint is coming off on the rear axles 2

Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

as far as the engine stains go, my buddy uses either amor all wheel cleaner, or a heavy duty degreaser, and a little elbow grease does the trick,

as far as the axles go, if it really bothers you, I would pull them, and paint, or better yet, have them powder coated

Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

I've seen the paint coming off in almost every picture of the rear axles. One had only 150 miles on it. I noticed it flaking a little on one of mine also. Not a big deal to me. It's a 4 wheeler.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Mine did it too...I just wire brushed the bare metal and shot the spots with some paint to keep the corrosion down. Looked like maybe they had some light surface rust on them before they were painted and it caused the paint to bubble.

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by IronBear
Another question off the subject...Is there a product out there that would keep the engine, axles and virtually anything underneth the machine clean after washing it? I clean this machine after every ride with soap and water but I'm wondering if there is anything on the market that would get rid of the dirt color on the engine and exhaust.

Pete
I was wondering the same about cleaning my XP. It does not have the traditional ATV skins on it...with regards to the color. It appears to actually have paint. So...are you other XP owner's cleaning with an automotive car wash type? Or what are you all using?

So far...all I have used is regular water to rinse off. Then I towel dry, but was thinking maybe some kind of auto wash would work?

Thanks,
biz

Old 09-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE
Mine did it too...I just wire brushed the bare metal and shot the spots with some paint to keep the corrosion down. Looked like maybe they had some light surface rust on them before they were painted and it caused the paint to bubble.
[quote=biz4two;2849385]I was wondering the same about cleaning my XP. It does not have the traditional ATV skins on it...with regards to the color. It appears to actually have paint. So...are you other XP owner's cleaning with an automotive car wash type? Or what are you all using?

First, Welcome back IronBear, Haven't heard from you in awhile!

I agree with HO, wire brush and a little spray paint.

To clean smooth plastic's, (after washing) I just use Pledge furniture polish and for the rough textured plastic's ( storage boxes) I use Armor All. It's been working fine so far!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by IronBear
Hello,

Pete
This is what I use.....now my secret is out...lol...well one of them

Yes it is an engine detailer....it is not a cleaner...more of a coating..you will just have to try it to understand how awesome it works....
My other big secret as simple as it sounds is drying the machine thoroughly with my leaf blower...if you wash it...dry it before you put it away,goes a long way toward keeping down corrosion,water spots ect......woulld you want to go to bed soaking wet? lol
Oh and lastly treat the painted plastics just like a car finish...automotive detailers,waxes ect .

Quick Reply: 2009 Sportsman XP850 Rear Axles