Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 Sportsman hard to shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 Sportsman hard to shift

This Sportsman is hard to shift from low to reverse.Oil is good in shifter,linkages are tight on shifter.Low side has play in linkage going to tranny.What I need to know is what piece is the one that wears?The pivot the shift linkage goes to or the alluminum link to the top of the tranny?

Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check engine idle...if too high, it can cause excessive drag torque on secondary clutch, which tends to bind the shift clutchs inside the transmission
Check clutch alignment...same reason. Does it shift noticeably better with the engine off? If so this is likely your problem.
If the '01 has the gear selector where H, N, and R are in a line and L is to the right and up, then check the linkage adjustment. It is possible that things are worn, but I'd bet the frame has twisted a bit or one of the linkage rods is bent. There is an inter-lock mechanism in the transmission that only allow one shift levers to move at a time. If the linkage rods are out of adjustment, one of the levers can be shifted just enough to make the interlock jam things up. With the gear selector in N, there shouldn't be any preload on either of the linkage rods.
If you have the in-line HLNRP type of gear selector, then I'd focus on the clutch alignment first.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

ALready check the alingement and Idle is below 1000rpms.There is play in the pivot where the shift linkage hooks into the linkage going to the tranny.I am not new to Polaris just this IRS set up.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have EBS clutches? Does it shift any better with the engine off? When you say it is hard to shift from Low to Reverse, is it hard to get it out of Low into Neutral, or Hard to get it into Reverse?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 AM
Quad Patrol

no EBS.Hard to get out of low to reverse.Acts like it is hanging up.Shutting off helps a little to not much or all the time.I think it is in the rear linkages.Going to stop by the local dealer today and see what he thinks.Need to pay my tab anyway.