Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Road Salt/Ice Melt & The ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 AM
a12
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Salt/Ice Melt & The ATV

I was wondering if I need to be concerned with the after effects of salt effecting/corroding the ATV, after riding on snow covered streets or driveways that have been treated with salt/sand, etc. I know the effects that salt has on autos & trucks, so I'm guessing that I would have to frequently give the ATV a good rinse, although this will be tough when it's below freezing outside. I wanted to know what others do, spray anything underneath, etc. as preventative maintenance, to prevent the salt from becoming a problem and rusting/corroding the ATV. Any comments appreciated.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Do worry,once you get off the streets and ride the trails were ATVs belong the spray of the fresh white snow on the trails will wash the salt off,I find.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seen some of the exhust pics on here from a year or two old sportsman that was fully rusted out........I think is was from the salting of the roads.......

Now with this new liquid salt brine solution it may be better or worse.

I noticed with my snowblower the salt even had a bad effect.
Now that I am on a private roadway with no salting at all (just sanding)
My snowblower has very little rust on it .
..Caper.....

Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I'd spray down the underbody & frame periodically with WD-40 or something comperable. It certianly would'nt hurt not to mention nothing wants to stick. (mud,snow or whatever) Works great for me. Zero rust on the 02 thus far.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if it's metal(which the frames and other parts are)it can corrode or rust. some spray a oil type base product on, but if you can just wash it once in awhile, i think it would be like a car or truck for rusting out. imo.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Snow is almost here must go buy a case of wd40

Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have this issue while trailering our quads home in the winter. If you do not clean them up you will get salt damage. Here is a pic of a 09 850 that was not cleaned when we came home. See how the salt ate at it after after time.

Trending Topics

Old 10-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

same issue w/ our new vechicles too w/ the alum rims. plus i thinki these days they have cheap coating on them as well. either way the melting products used on the roads really do a number these days. oh yea, i know snow is coming since i worked tuesday in the snow all day. it sucked lol. too early.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

I always rinse mine off with a garden hose really good when I get home. Then parked it in the heated garage. No rust for the 4 years I had the 2005 800.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

i got my wheeler new in sep/08. insted of leaving my alum rims on during winter i got steel rims for winter. but all last winter it sat on the trailer and i used it to plow driveways. the wheeler was coverd in salt. when spring came around i washed it. i noticed the hubs on the wheeler and the alum parts were corroed (not bad, but still) from the road salt. the rims im suprised havent rused yet. still look new. but this is why i got another set for winter to keep it from wrecking the good rims.

Quick Reply: Road Salt/Ice Melt & The ATV