Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK Old Pros, I need some serious diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth. I had a motorcycle with the problem you describe. It's problem was sticking rings. When the engine was cold the clearance between the piston and the cylinder were greater than when the engine heated up. I was getting blow by past the rings, as the engine heated up the blow by lessened and the engine ran fine. I tried everyhing, finally did a hot vs. cold compression check and found the problem. An old Chevy mechanic told me that was the problem before the check, darned if he wasn't right.

Old 02-24-2001, 01:54 AM
Range Rover

First of all carry out a compression check.I would also go through the intale and exhaust fittings for example splits in the intake rubber manifold.

Old 02-24-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting Todd. I don't think you're going to find it to be an electrical problem either. I think the compression test is a good start. Check when the engines cold. If your gage reads low compression, pure a little 40w oil, 1-2oz., in the cylinder and check the compression again. If the the compression goes up considerably, you have blow-by at the cylinder walls. Of course, there are 10 other things to check for also but this may save you some madness.
Chuck

Old 02-24-2001, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck...
Chuck

Old 02-25-2001, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

Thanks, guys! I never thought of "blow-by"! It is a '96, and that could very well be the problem. I will keep you posted to the results. Once again, thanks to everyone that's responding.

Old 02-25-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Todd,
I have not been on for a few days. Sorry

I agree with Bill on the stator. They usually work or don't work. For future reference, CDIs that are going bad usually work well when cold and quit working when they get warmed up. I also agree that the leak down test would be the place to start just because it is easy.

To be honest, this doesn't really make sense, and I do not know what to tell you. If it were in my shop, my course of action would be trial and error. Even a blind squirrel will find a nut on occasion.

Greg

Old 02-25-2001, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

Thanks, Greg. I'd wondered where you were. I gonna relay all this to my mechanic Monday....but you're right, it'll just be trial and error...but I'll be sure and post the results to try and help somebody else out.

Old 03-01-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

Well, what was the verdict on your machine? Has the mechanic or dealer come up with an answer yet? Enquiring minds want to know, besides you asked and we responed. Now we are curious as to the reason or reasons.

Old 03-01-2001, 08:54 PM
Range Rover

Wish I had good news, but I'm still with the same problem. The new CDI is still installed, but won't crank with the ground attached...compression if OK...I'm waiting on the new stator to come in and see if that helps. I haven't had a chance to call him the last two days (ain't work a b!tch),but I will definetly talk to him tomorrow. Although, it's supposed to rain about 2" tonite, tomorrow, and into Sat. so I don't think it's gonna matter.

Old 03-01-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Todd,
If you problem is not resolved soon, let me know and I will do some research and see if I can help.

Greg

Quick Reply: OK Old Pros, I need some serious diagnosis!