Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK Old Pros, I need some serious diagnosis!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd,
The noise in the fan is due to bad bearings. The fan is easily disassembled. One of the bearings will easily pull off. The other has to be cut. I used a dremmel, but any kind of grinder will do. The bearings can be replaced at any bearing house for $3 each. It is a 1 hour jobs including removing the front bumper, rad, and fan motor. I beleive the bearing is a 608, but they can match yours up after you remove it. The only other thing is that motor that acually makes physical contact is the brushes, and I have never seen brushes actually wear out on one of those motors.

Be sure to line the o-rings back up good upon reassembly. I used some silicone to make sure I got a good seal. The problem with these motors is the o-ring around the fan motor shaft. They leak water, and there is nothing I have found that can be done about it. Also, the is not need for excess lubricant when you reassembly the motor. I usually just put a bit of lithium grease on the surface that the brushes contact.

Good luck,

Greg

Old 03-22-2001, 10:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Greg. I'm going to work on that tomorrow nite. I'm glad you told me about accessing the fan from the front....I was wondering how I was going to get to it when I was looking under the fenders.