Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Newbee questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - so I spent all my money and bought a 2001 Polaris 500 RSE. now....

I've seen pics of winches being mounted on the front rack rather then
the standard bumper area. Whats up with that?

Any suggestions on a GPS? how detailed are the Garmin Emaps??

How about a rear rack box that would provide back support to the
passenger thats not suppose to be there...

I want a radio. handlebar mount or other ??? suggestions????

Any good cost effective handlebar mounts for beer, gps, scanner etc?

My valves rap - is that common?

Do I really need shock covers?

Anyone ride in Minnesota and have a good trail/campground suggestion?
Or other local states??

Old 03-04-2001, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider

Whodat,,
Only have expertise in one area you're asking about,,,beer holders are bad idea,,, they shake it up and it'll go flat!!!So don't drink and drive,,you can usually find a stump or something to set it on when you stop for a break(happens every time you try to sort out the damn maps and gps)

Old 03-05-2001, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

About a rear rack box that would provide back support to the
passenger thats not suppose to be there...

You can get a nice one that wraps around for the passenger so they have arm rests and padded back rest, also has storage. They get to ride in style, comfortable.
Cost $249.00 (Canadian) Royal Distributing.com, there's a link on my site too.

Oh and the beer holder, I agree that you shouldn't drink and drive, but to carry a roadie, u could keep it in a ALL SPORT bottle (bubba), in a saddle bag or your new back rest/storage box.

PAT

Old 03-05-2001, 01:48 AM
Range Rover

When buying a GPS keep in mind that the more sattelites the unit can lock on to, the more accurate it will be, I.E. the Garmin GPS 12 can lock on to 12 sattelites.
A good mount for a GPS is the gas tank mount. Remove the gas cap, fit mount over tank opening, put gas cap back on. I believe the lower and more centered the mount, the less shock the unit will take. A scanner mount?? You're a man after my own heart! Never thought of this. But I can't imagine picking up many cordless phones back in the hills...
I think the winch mount is a matter of personal preference. The mount in front of the radiator will keep it out of the way and you keep your rack space. It won't impede any airflow.
As for shock covers, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Shannon
For Dad - '99 Sportsman 500
For Mom - '01 Sportsman 500 H.O. (Brand spankin' new)
For Jr. - '01 Sportsman 90
See the pictures

Old 03-05-2001, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think the Garmin emap is waterproof... might need that. I have a Magellan 330 and it has very detailed maps, and supposed to be waterproof.

Old 03-06-2001, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

Cabelas has everything you want and more for ATV's maps. GPS, no beer holders, I don't recommend that. I don't know much about shock covers, I've never needed to use them so don't worry about it, I think its a waste of money. I do recomend a grill guard and winch, indespensable tools that go beyond usage just for ATVs. I recommend back racks too, you can carry more crap that way.

Old 03-06-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

DaBoss, If the Magellan 330 is as tough as the 315 you wont have any problems with it. They are in the same case so it should be. Just don't hit it with the pressure washer!

Old 03-07-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

WhData, A greate place to ride is in Nemadji forest north of Hinckley, lots of great muddy trails. Another really good place is Paul Bunyan forest near Walker. The MN dnr site has all the maps, if you call them they will mail them to you.

Old 03-08-2001, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've just finished experimenting with all different gps's. Magellan 315 definetly locks on to the satellites better under forest cover. They are waterproof, (will float with antenna sticking out of water) and no water enters the unit. Also I find they were alot easier to learn than the garmins..Good luck

Old 03-09-2001, 12:20 PM
Range Rover

Polaris sells just about every item on your list. I was surprised what they sell for bikes. Check out your 2001 Polaris brochure. If you don't have one go get one from the dealer. I was shocked at how many items Polaris sold for ATVs.

Quick Reply: Newbee questions