ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Exploding oil tank 07 X2 500 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/321499-exploding-oil-tank-07-x2-500-a.html)

LiftOff 12-14-2009 05:26 PM

Exploding oil tank 07 X2 500

My X2's oil tank exploded this weekend in a big way(took out part of my foot well)!! I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this? My only grace was I had backed it out of the garage to let it warm up so at least it didn't spray oil all over my garage. I'm sure it has something to do with the breather line being frozen or possibly pinched, but irregardless, I'm not a happy camper. I've listed this on another forum but haven't received any reply's.

chuck_raduenz 12-14-2009 05:37 PM

wow. iv never heard of this. but it must have been some pressure in that tank to do that and to take out the foot well. in any case im not to fond of the plastic tank. i like the alum tanks they had on my 2000 sportsman. way stronger....

sdina 01-09-2010 02:16 PM

2004 sportman 500HO oil tank exploded

The same thing happened to my 2004 Sportsman 500HO today. It was about 19 degrees out. I have ridden many times in the cold with no issue. I checked the oil before I started it up and all was perfect. I ran it for about 5 minutes and all was well. I drove it around a little bit in the yard and a large bang blew out the side of the tank. I stopped the motor in about 5 or 10 sec's. I will put in a new oil tank but I am wondering if any engine damage occurred. There was no knocking or anything, so I am hopeful all is well. I am disappointed in the Polaris. It has never been abused and very well taken care off.
Did you ever get any feedback as to a possible cause?

Polarat 01-09-2010 04:17 PM

Does anyone know if the older metal tanks will fit on the newer quads?

sdina 01-17-2010 07:11 AM

I would not recommend replacing oil tank with anything other than the exact part. You could easily be in a position that either restricts the amount of oil getting to and from the pump OR the opposite...too much oil to the crankcase.
My story....I replaced the oil tank with new tank from the dealer. I found water in the vent hose. I am sure it was condensation from previous ride that froze and prevented the tank from venting. There was a little water in the bottom of my air box (where the vent hose goes to). Everything is running perfect now. I will be extra carefull now to make sure the oil tank is venting properly in below freezing temps.

Last comments: The vent hose is pretty big in diameter but the port in the oil tank and air box are really small. It would not take much water/ice to plug them. Finally: I am really surprised that Polaris does not have a fail safe here. There should be a plug or something that fails before the oil tank fails/Explodes! I would have expected a hose or the dip stick or something else to fail first under the high pressure.

DCT 01-17-2010 07:13 AM

Yea, a vent had to be blocked up causing the pressure to back up.

RticKwad 01-17-2010 07:35 AM

Hey when you say breather line, is this the hose that obviously contains the in-line breather filter? Just would like to know for sure.

Thanks,

R'

reecejack1 02-15-2010 02:12 PM

the tank on my 2007 500 h.o exploded this weekend. i was told that it is blockage in the vent tube.

4getful2 02-15-2010 04:40 PM

the older tanks will bolt right in place of the original ,but you will have to do a lil plumbing on the inlet side oil line.

chuck_raduenz 02-15-2010 05:00 PM

if my tank ever goes ill be replacing it with the alum one. im not fond of plastic. everything is going to plastic. pretty soon EVERY thing will be plastic.

a few years back when i had my 2000 sportsman. the neighbor kids used my wheeler. well they took it though the road ditch, and didnt see the culvert. well the driver side tire whent in. broke the a-arm from the frame, bent the floor board support, cracked the rear fender from everything pushing back, also the tie rod bent while slamming into the oil tank. it just left a small indent on the oil tank. ill bet that plastic tank would have been it many parts..... plus the the dip stick can sometimes be a pain to get loose.