Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can you bargain with Polaris dealer prices?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you bargain with Polaris dealer prices?

It's time for a new Polaris and Ive got my eye on those 550s and 850s. The sticker prices at my local Popo shop seems crazy high! For an 850 they are charging over 10k! Really?

Should I try to get a lower price that? How low will they generally go off sticker? 5% ?

Just don't want to insult this dealer by offering a lower price.

Oh...and for the life of me....I can't find a used 550 or 850 anywhere near me (va). Either they are too new or everyone likes them to much to sell.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've never paid full retail price for a quad. i always tell them whats the lowest price out the door and say i'm shoping around for the best price at differnt deals. if they want the bussiness, they will drop the price a little.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

Never pay full retail!--There is always room to negotiate. At least really look over the model/models that you really want. Ask to test drive it. Then after all that then talk price. If your gut says its still to high then look online or call other dealers around. By then you will know exactly what you are looking for. You can buy a new polaris from any dealer you want and still be able to take it to your local one for warranty service.--just my 2cents--Dave

I have found deals on line for new atvs and watercraft that were $1500-2000 lower than my local dealer. With shipping cost was still cheaper than paying more at my local dealer.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be fooled in by the FREE winch deal either.........If you want the winch tell them.
I drove two hours to buy two 2006 Sportsman 450's and saved $1200.00 each compared to my local dealer........Most dealers around my area don't sell very high volume so they need to make a bit more on each sale......If you can get a price from a very busy dealer that pushes them out the door on a day-to -day sales.........He can more then likely give you the best lowest price.

But also remember if you have any issues with your Quad in the first 6-months, can you depend on him to fix it!
Good luck.........Caper..........

Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Madkins,

If VA means Virgina try Ridersville Cycle in WVA just over the state lines. I drive 2hrs from MD there to get the best prices and deals and their service is great! Give HAROLD a call and he will take care of you with whole sale or at cost prices. Nobody in the Mid-Atlantic area can compare. If ya want more info. on them let me know too.

Cheers,

R'

Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Madkins
It's time for a new Polaris and Ive got my eye on those 550s and 850s. The sticker prices at my local Popo shop seems crazy high! For an 850 they are charging over 10k! Really?

Should I try to get a lower price that? How low will they generally go off sticker? 5% ?

Just don't want to insult this dealer by offering a lower price.

Oh...and for the life of me....I can't find a used 550 or 850 anywhere near me (va). Either they are too new or everyone likes them to much to sell.
Insult a dealer? In today's economy they look at any offer that's reasonable. Low ball 'em first and see what they say. A no is better then them sticking it to you! The term dealer goes back to the horse trading days.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

Dealers have left over product on their showroom floors. They are paying interest on them every month they sit. I am aware of a Polaris dealer that has new 07' and 08' snowmobile product sitting. Check eBay and you will see dealers listing previous year models and at times two year-old product. Look at their pricing and see what it compares to pricing in your area.

Here's an example. I was looking at a 08' Suzuki 50 for our daughter. The salesman stated they were aggressive and wanted to move units. He offered me MSRP plus $250.00 for set-up, $250.00 for freight, and $199.00 for dealer handling. After I laughed, the sales manager came over to try and close the deal. He offered to drop the $250.00 fees to $99 each. After I confirmed that they wanted MSRP plus $400 in additional fees, I told them they were nuts and left.

What makes me really frustrated is that there are so many people that will walk in and buy at that type of pricing. Dealer handling, set-up, and freight on previous year models and especially two year-old units can be negotiated and at best not charged.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Remember, just because the sticker says one thing does'nt mean thats the selling price. My local dealer has all of the quads marked at msrp but when you talk to them they'll shoot you a much lower price. Another thing is, if you find that they still have an 08 or 09 on the floor along side of the 2010's they tend to be a little more agressive with discounts and what-not. My friend picked up a brand new 08 sp800 last summer (after the 09's were out) with all the goodies for $6800 out the door.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Remember, just because the sticker says one thing does'nt mean thats the selling price. My local dealer has all of the quads marked at msrp but when you talk to them they'll shoot you a much lower price. Another thing is, if you find that they still have an 08 or 09 on the floor along side of the 2010's they tend to be a little more agressive with discounts and what-not. My friend picked up a brand new 08 sp800 last summer (after the 09's were out) with all the goodies for $6800 out the door.
I agree with you completely. Here is a bit of information that was shared with me when purchasing my 09' 850XP. A dealer shared with me when they have 1 or 2 previous year models on the showroom floor and the current year model shows up, he can hold out on giving a deep discount on the previous year model becasue there is usually a price increase on the model. He then can show a $500 discount on the previous year model, which equates to maybe a $800 discount. Discount + price increase. One may then think they are getting a great deal, when they really aren't getting such a great deal.

Maybe this will be clearer:

2009 Unit MSRP 8499.00
Discount 499.00
Sales Price 8000.00

2010 Unit MSRP 8799.00
Discount 0.00
Sales Pirce 8799.00

***** Figures are for visual purposes only. They do not represent actual pricing.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will definitely pay to call around to other popo dealers for an out-the-door price and see if yours will match it. Definitely worth it to travel for a better price sometimes! Mine will even match internet pricing on stuff like accessories if it's from a popo dealer. Bottom line is if they won't work with you then go to someone who will. See a lot of places going under here because they think that just because they are local folks will pay the extra $ for stuff. Not really the case anymore. I drove 350 miles(one way) to purchase my last truck because no one locally would give me the deal I wanted. Got what I wanted and ended up paying over $3k less than local. Well worth the trip.

Quick Reply: Can you bargain with Polaris dealer prices?