Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What is the best snowplow to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best snowplow to buy????

I have put off buying a plow for a long time but I think it is getting time to go ahead and get one. So what does everyone think is the best bang for the buck for a plow. All info is welcome. I have a 08 Sportsman 500 HO and if it makes any difference I have a ATV Guru brush-guard and Venom 3000 lb winch with synthetic rope on it. If at all possible I do not want anything that will hinder ground clearance when the plow is off.

Questions are.

(1) what is the best plow for the price?

(2) where is the best place to order one?

(3) what width plow to get for the 500 HO?

Also I will be plowing asphalt and some gravel (driveway, front asphalt back gravel)

Old 02-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Trailblazer

I am also looking to put a plow on my sportsman. I have heard that Glacier makes a decent plow, and the mount is low profile on the sportsman. I do not have one yet, but that is what I have been considering. Good luck man.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Moose is definitely a good plow. I would go 60"

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by noooooo
Moose is definitely a good plow. I would go 60"
Low profile mount?
Does the plow have enough weight to really cut through the snow, or dou you add weight?

Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

So how do the Glacier and Moose do on a gravel drive?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

The moose is one of the heavier plows out there. My moose pushtubes are modified to fit the xp glacier 2 mount plate. I have had my blade for 5 rough years now and no problems. I believe there was a strength issue with some of the front mount plow systems. I dont know if moose was one of them. As far as the gravel drive. Adjust the shoes so you dont scrape the gravel.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I like the new Warn plows. The are some of the strongest plows made.
YouTube - Warn ProVantage Plow System

Old 02-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am also looking to put on plows my sportsman. I have heard that Glacier makes a decent plow, and the mount is low profile on the sportsman. I do not have one yet, but that is what I have been considering. Good luck man.There are some of the strongest plows made.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have the Glacier II 60" Razor Plow which I got off of eBay, I think from Breeze.
I have only used it for this season, but so far so good. I bought it for the ease of taking it off and on, and the mount is completely out of the way for ground clearence when the plow is off. It also lifts very high for loading on and off of tilt trailers and ramps for pickup trucks.

As for strength, that is hard to judge. I only plow my own drives and one neighbor so I don't hit anything, as I know the roads. I think if you hit something that isn't going to move, like a curb, and you are going too fast, you can bend up anything, no mater how strong. I think you also need to be carefull with large frozen snow banks.

I have my trip springs set at the weakest setting so mine will trip easily. So far I am very happy with mine and impressed at the amount of snow it will push. As for gravel or uneven cracks in the concrete, that is what the feet are for, although, I like most, have them off so my blade scrapes the drive clean.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both the Moose Rapid mount plow and the G2 plow. Both work the same way. The push tube and blade on the G2 is not as strong as the Moose. The Moose is much more heavy duty in its construction and welds. Right down to the way you can adjust the height of the blade. The Moose has a much better and stronger system. The mounting plate on the SP is the same for both. Get the Moose. I found mine online by doing a google search got the best price that way.

Quick Reply: What is the best snowplow to buy????