ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Help with solenoid issue (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/323556-help-solenoid-issue.html)

dagoth 02-10-2010 07:22 PM

So by dead spot Im assuming you mean a temporary problem? I should remove the started check my grounds, clean my connection and then run all the tests?

If the freakin snow here ever stops Ill have a few minutes to tear into my quad

Mongrol 02-10-2010 07:35 PM

Temporary meaning probably recurring. Kinda like finding sour milk in the fridge. It doesn't get better by leaving it there and hoping it'll be ok when you look again. Do the servicing as the posts have mentioned and you will zero it down to the cause. Keep us posted, its all a learning experience. Good Luck.

Wenty 02-10-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by dagoth (Post 2894199)
Thanks a ton for all the advice...I spent most of the day shoveling snow so I wasnt able to get to what you posted.

With that said out of frustration while putting away my shovel I walked up to my ATV...Turned the key and nothing...pull started it and she started for a second and died...screamed a few "f"s at the quad and turned the key again and BOOM she started right up and ran with no freaking problem. After not working for months and having absolutely nothing done to it she is starting and running with no problem!!!! Im about to take my 12 GA and start blowing holes in it. I am going to do the above also...tomorrow. I will post what happens.

Like mentioned...clean up the connections at the solenoid and starter. If the problem comes back it's time for a starter rebuild. The kit is cheap and easy to install.

Wenty

gaspumpcity 02-10-2010 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by dagoth (Post 2893820)
Before I was able to read all of the advice on this forum regarding proper steps to jump starting an ATV, I made the mistake of jump starting my polairis sportsman 500 from my car....while the car engine was running. For the first few months things were fine; however, now I'm unable to start my ATV. When I turn the key I just hear a clicking sound. Ironically enough, my buddy has the same ATV as mine, made the same mistake around the same time, and his quad is experiencing the same problem.

I assume the solenoid is bad now. But before I replace it I wanted to get some advice on other electrical components that also may have been damaged. Any advice that can be provided on this issue will be greatly appreciated!!

Lets check volts while you are waiting on the snow to quit! Recharge the battery min-volts charged 12.8 volts. load test battery at Autozone or wherever then reinstall good battery(short cut jump from another 12 volt battery but first hook cable from the atv to the jumpers then to the good battery) do not go though the bad battery! If this fails then at the solenoid check the small wire for 12.8 volts when you turn key to start (if lower volts are here back up to the key switch. Is the clicking coming from the starter? If so then remove the solenoid and push in on the plunger see if it starts if not remove the starter. Remember it take 2 volts above battery volts while running to charge the battery.