Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's

I have had a HPD thumb throttle for the predator ever since darrel made the prototype(had prototype for myself) over the years I have used his cables but he never had one for the fcr carb so I alway had to make my own. about a year ago I wanted to put the prototype on my stock 500pred and figured Id have to make a cable. it was then that I found out that the stock oem cable would work with the hpd thumb throttle. last week My friend wanted this HPD throttle for his mxr450 so I did the mod for him. when doing it we talked about how HPD didn't know that the oem cable would work on his throttle, so I shot darrel a message and told him I would post it here. It wasn't untill last night that I figured that ANY POLARIS WITH THE PLASTIC THUMB THROTTLE COULD HAVE THIS HPD THROTTLE. here is what you do
frist remove the cable from the stock housing(throttle)pop the top off oem housing remove the screw which holds the cable holder,pull the cable from the holder,then twist the cable forward(I think)1/4 turn ,then pull it from housing. get a razzor knife and cut the small tabs down on the end of the cable (tabs held the cable in the stock housing)remove the rubber o-ring. at this point the cable will fit into the opening for the cable on the HPD throttle. I like to do two things with this frist don't over cut the tabs just round them off and cut down a tad ,this way the cable is very very tight and hard to push into the HPD throttle,if you cut them off all the way it is still a snug fit. I also like to use 5 min epoxy on the end that goes into the hpd throttle. Just to make sure the cable is really tight on the housing and can not be pulled out easy. that is all you have to do so now get on the phone and buy the HPD throttle

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101453.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

These picture maybe small but here they are. you can also check out the write up on polarisriders.com and the gen3usa.com forums

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101455.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

twist and pull

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101504.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

trim/cut and remove o-ring

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101501.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

added epoxy

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101502.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

This next Idea is an idea I had if you really wanted to lock the cable in using a screw. I have never done it because with the epoxy there is no need. The idea is to drill a small hold through and or next to the cable and add a screw to lock the cable in place. There is enough aluminum and plastic to drill though as long as it is a small hole and a self tapping screw is small. You could drill thought the plastic on the cable so you won;t have to use a washer. Some models do NOT have enough plastic to did though. That is why I just used epoxy.

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101451.jpg  
Old 02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I do believe this mod will work with any polaris from 98 to NOW . any polaris that has the plastic throttle housing. Keep in mined that this throttle is not made for 4x4's but could be used on one if the 4wheel switch was moved (cut spliced in a toggle switch)
Also with this throttle You will have to unplug the ETC and it is not longer used.
the advantage to this throttle is --It is adjust able at the thumb piece, it has adjustable throttle stops so you can not stretch the cable, It looks trick(bling Bling) it has a bigger thumb piece and the most important part---It is way smoother feeling then any plastic throttle polaris makes.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

the last step to this throttle install is to adjust the slack and set the throttle stops.

Attached Thumbnails HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's-cid__0224101504a.jpg  
Old 02-27-2010, 06:05 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't feel thats a very safe thing when your removing the etc for some riders that may not be able to react fast enough when the throttle is stuck wide open. good advertising for HPD though.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya but I'll tell you what,if you can not hit the kill switch on the handlebars fast enough to shut off the quad if something happens then I don't think that that person should ride a quad. Come on those etc's suck or at least on the predators and outlaws. Even with the cable adjusted those quads like to pop after you let off on the throttle.or blip the throttle fast. It is because of the etc. personaly I agree that this mod is for expert riders, not beginers or young riders.

Quick Reply: HPD throttle mod for all plastic throttle polaris's