ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   broken shift lever on xpedition.... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/32484-broken-shift-lever-xpedition.html)

carbonblack 02-28-2001 09:46 AM

Has anyone else with a 425 xpedition experienced a
broken shift lever? Actually, it is the shaft that the shift lever is connected to that broke. This is the second quad that I know of that this has happened to and I am just wondering if there might be a problem with the part.

soupcan 02-28-2001 10:08 AM

It sounds like its happening to more and more
425's lately. It hasn't happened to mine yet, but I plan to try and beef it up somehow if possible.
If the shifter can be attached to the larger diameter of the shaft, I highly doubt it would snap off. I think all expedition owners should overflow the polaris e-mail system for a recall on their defective part. Another thing I was wondering is if more shafts are breaking due to the colder weather, making the metel more brittle than it would be in the summer.

DJ425 02-28-2001 10:10 AM

Where did the shaft break off at? I've seen a couple of posts on this, & was wondering if a pair of vise grips would allow you to limp it home. So was there enough of the shaft left to hook on to?

carbonblack 02-28-2001 10:30 AM

There was nothing left to hook on to. It snapped off while trying to shift out of reverse, so I had to back up all the way home. I just wanted to know if other owners were experiencing this before I called polaris.

rangerchet 02-28-2001 11:12 AM

I think you are about the 3rd. I have heard that had this happen. I am in minnesota and have been out in the cold winter riding. So far mine has not
broke yet. It sure sounds like it might. I do carry a vice grip with me, if that will help. Yes,
maybe we should e-mail polaris and let them know. If they re-designed a new stronger one. I would be
willing to purchase it, just for reliability. If polaris hears about it. I do believe they would take a look at it. I have not been gentle with mine and it has held up so far. What can I say.

rangerchet, 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.

carbonblack 02-28-2001 12:31 PM

So far, there are two replies that mentioned e-mailing polaris. Are you talking about going to polarisindutries.com and using the "contact us" option, or does someone have a more direct e-mail address? I was just going to call customer service. Does anyone think one would be more effective then the other?

bowtiepu1 02-28-2001 12:44 PM

i doubt if they`ll issue a recall,we know of 3 that its happened to,does anyone know how many they have sold ?

Pfelect 02-28-2001 07:30 PM

Guys I have a confession to make...
I recently broke my shift shaft and Ive heard of others breaking BUT...my quad was in the garage where I was troubleshooting an ignition problem I was having. After coming to the conclusion that my stator was bad I was rather "ticked" knowing that the stator would be expensive. When I stepped on the shifter to put it in neutral so I could push it back into the garage...well....lets just say I stomped on it pretty hard.

DJ425 03-01-2001 09:42 AM

I e-mailed Polaris yesterday ( 2-28-01 ), but they haven't got back with me yet. I e-mailed from Polaris's web site. I'll post their reply when they get back with me.

rangerchet 03-01-2001 10:58 AM

You will probably hear back from them in about 2 days. I have done it before and they do get back to you rather quickly. I guess if we stomp on our shifter and break it. We can hardly ask for a re-call. I suggest that we 5-speeders take it easy on the shift.

I am going up to roseau minnesota this friday, sat. and sunday to see a friend. He works at the polaris factory and said he would give me a tour. That sounds fun. We are going to ride our atv's up
there and do some trout fishing. I can hardly wait. I have not seen him for quite a while and it
is his birthday. He has been on this forum but I have not seen him post here for quite a while.

I still don't have my new 27 inch mudbugs on my atv yet. They are in my dads garage up north. I will take a picture of the front end of my xpedition 425 with polaris's new brush guard on it. I hope it starts. The atv has been in the garage for quite a few weeks now. I just bought a brand new 2001 ford ranger with the 4x4 off road package. That truck and with my xpedition, I feel like I have lots of 4x4 power now. After I take my
atv out a few times after I get the 27 inch mudbugs on and if I like them. I will then, probably be willing to sell my 26 inch mudbugs. They are still like new. Very little wear. Thats another day though.

rangerchet 2000 polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed.