Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP Grease Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitterfitter
I give them all 4 pumps of grease each, and am always surprised by the mud and water that come out of the bushings. 90 degree zerks are mandatory for those front uppers. They suck to get to!
Yep. They do suck to get to. I pump mine 3 or 4 as well. Usually do it when I clean the mud, sticks and leaves out from underneath regardless of the schedule. -I guess I have to change out my zerks for 90s. up front.

Somebody (me?) should write up a description of each location. One could miss one or two if they're not looking closely enough. Don't think the manual has a list of zerks.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FunRide
Yep. They do suck to get to. I pump mine 3 or 4 as well. Usually do it when I clean the mud, sticks and leaves out from underneath regardless of the schedule. -I guess I have to change out my zerks for 90s. up front.

Somebody (me?) should write up a description of each location. One could miss one or two if they're not looking closely enough. Don't think the manual has a list of zerks.
According to my Service Manual...it states that there are 11 grease zerks for the 2009 850 XP (not sure if it is the same for the 550 XP).
  1. Upper and Lower front and rear A-arms (8 total)
  2. Each rear bearing carrier (2 total)
  3. Front propshaft yolk (1 total)
Polaris recommends: Polaris Premium U-joint grease

Hope this helps...

biz

Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by biz4two
According to my Service Manual...it states that there are 11 grease zerks for the 2009 850 XP (not sure if it is the same for the 550 XP).
  1. Upper and Lower front and rear A-arms (8 total)
  2. Each rear bearing carrier (2 total)

Hope this helps...

biz
I think you ment 21.

A arms=16
Carrier=4
Yolk=1

Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the idea on changing out to 90degree zircs. I will have to put that on the to do list after planting season is over.

To answer a earlier question. I pumped the gun until I felt a little pressure and went just a hair more than that. I tried not to get grease all over the place. I figured that my goal was to mainly get out all the water that was collecting. Yes there were a few that grease did come out around the joints.

Polaris book may say greasing is not required but I beg to differ. With the water that came out and the gunk I seen. It's certainly needed immediately upon purchase of the bike. Simply put there was very little or no grease in my bike, which might be promoting all the complaints of Polaris joint problems.

The way I see it is I saved over 10 years (no joke) to buy my bike and I am going to do everything I can to make sure it lasts regardless of what that book may say! Sometimes common sense has to be utilized.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

I thought Polaris recommends Premium All-Purpose Grease for all other zerks, but U-joint grease for just the Front Propshaft Yoke?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

Would there be any adverse affects in using either/or for all though? For instance Premium All-Purpose on the Propshaft Yolk?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DingoNutz
Would there be any adverse affects in using either/or for all though? For instance Premium All-Purpose on the Propshaft Yolk?
That's what I've been doing, same grease for fittings. It's the same stuff I run on the tractor, heavy duty type. Need to confirm exactly what it is. Didn't know there was a special grease for U-joints.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by biz4two
According to my Service Manual...it states that there are 21 grease zerks for the 2009 850 XP (not sure if it is the same for the 550 XP).
  1. Upper and Lower front and rear A-arms (16 total)
  2. Each rear bearing carrier (4 total)

Hope this helps...

biz
Originally Posted by lovmudd
I think you ment 21.

A arms=16
Carrier=4
Yolk=1
lovmudd -- YES...indeed! Thanks for the correction...

biz

Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

I use Chevron SRI for all of grease fittings. It's what is in my grease gun because my company spec's it for lo-temp applications, so it's what I've got.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

I like to use marine grade grease which is useful in combating water contamination and fighting rust. It is used mostly in boat trailer wheel bearings which are constantly submerged in and out of water while launching boats. I figure these bearings take a lot of abuse, and I have always had good luck using this grease.

Quick Reply: XP Grease Maintenance