Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to Polaris

Old 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Polaris

Hi to all, I just picked up a 325 Magnum and have a couple of questions. First off, does the swing arm have any grease fittings? For the life of me, I can't locate any. It sat in a barn unused for a couple of years and after a battery charge and fresh gas it started and ran just like it had been running recently. My second question is, it seems to want to creep just a little after it gets warmed up when it's in gear, and I can hear a very slight sqeal coming from the belt. I does seem to be idling a little fast, but I'm wondering if there's anything I need to check besides the idle since it has been sitting? Thanks in advance for your help. Jim

Old 07-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Well, I thought it did. Went and looked at the microfiche at http://www.ronnies.com and when I looked at the swing arm, I didn't see any. Thought it may be similar to my old 2000 trail boss. But comparing the two, it's obviously different.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the newer bikes don't have many grease fitting. it should idle around 1150 rpms. might need the carb cleaned if it's sitting that long as well. if it's not idled too high, then (not sure if that has ebs)maybe the ebs bushing is getting bad inthe primary clutch.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, It's idling faster than 1150. Sounds closer to 1400 so I'll get a tach and set it. Talking to the elderly owner it doesn't have more than 1000 miles on it, and judging by the tires I'd say he's right. They're the originals and look like 80 to 90% tread left on them.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

Just turn the idle down so it will idle, shift smoothly and stay running , shouldnt have to get a tach

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

My 02 didnt have fittings,but when the bearings went i drilled and tapped the housings .popped off the inner seals on the NEW bearings and now it does
ALAN

Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would still clean the carb after sitting for a couple of years....
even if the idle trouble gets fixed...........Caper........

Old 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Trailblazer

Idling it down did fix the creeping. Can some one tell me how to remove the side covers to gain better access to the carb? I just barely managed to get my hand in far enough to get a hold of the idle screw and with the engine warmed up it was even more of a challenge.

I've had it for about a week and a half and have put 150 to 200mi on it with just a minor sputter the second time I rode it, so I think I'll hold off on the carb cleaning until it shows a more definite sign of needing it. Other than the minor creeping that was going on it starts and runs great so I'm hesitant to tear into it right away. We live in a very rural area of the Ok Panhandle and can ride 25 to 30mi without seeing a soul so it's easy to run up alot of miles. After riding it in 100+ temps, I would think that any junk in the carb should've ran thru by now but maybe not

Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If it runs good, leave the carb alone, run some Sea Foam throught it at most. I take the air box out to get at the carb from the below the seat.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks TLC. That sounds like a good way to get to the carb. Also, I was just thinking about running a little seafoam in it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Polaris