Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sportsman 700 Twin "No Spark"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a solid red wire that has power all the time. It goes into the ignition on the pod, but there is no connection available off of it any where I can see. The red/white wire the winch is hooked up to only has power when the key is on.
Does any one have a picture they could post of where they connected to the red wire?

Charging at idle at the battery is 12.6 V, when I rev it up it charges around 14+ V.
When in diagnostic mode, the pod shows 0 for RPM, at idle and when I rev it.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This is your earlier post:
"I went out to garage to look for another red wire, found a red wire that is cut and crimped into a female spade stakon fitting. That's where I hooked up the winch solenoid wire years ago when I bought the ATV. While out there I decided to take some paint off the frame for the ground bolt, then put it back together. Turned the key a couple times then heard a faint wimper of the engine trying to run. I tried again while pulling the chock out and vroooom!!
It's been over a yr since I had this running, so happy.

My question now is, can I leave it on that wire, or should I keep digging for another that is solid red?"

Your last post: I found a solid red wire that has power all the time. It goes into the ignition on the pod, but there is no connection available off of it any where I can see. The red/white wire the winch is hooked up to only has power when the key is on.
Does any one have a picture they could post of where they connected to the red wire?

Charging at idle at the battery is 12.6 V, when I rev it up it charges around 14+ V.
When in diagnostic mode, the pod shows 0 for RPM, at idle and when I rev it.

Did you ever take the red wire from the winch solenoid and hook it to the jumper harness for the new ignition as the instructions specifically mention on the red harness wire?? The winch solenoid can use the red/white that's only powered up with the key on. Do this if NO other unused red wire is available and see if it solves the problem on the display..

Old 06-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Did you ever take the red wire from the winch solenoid and hook it to the jumper harness for the new ignition as the instructions specifically mention on the red harness wire?? The winch solenoid can use the red/white that's only powered up with the key on. Do this if NO other unused red wire is available and see if it solves the problem on the display..
Those wires I called red for the winch were actually red with a white or yellow stripe. They only have power when the key is in the ON position also. Sorry I didn't correct myself earlier.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then have you found a RED wire in the wiring loom that is unused?? Should have one and you may have to really dig for it..

Old 06-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did the kit on my 2002 sportsman 700 there's a double red and white wire in the harness it has a female end that's where jumper 2410606 plugs into running from the cdi box .

Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by woodsmen1734
I did the kit on my 2002 sportsman 700 there's a double red and white wire in the harness it has a female end that's where jumper 2410606 plugs into running from the cdi box .
Double red white? Then I stand corrected on this! Instruction call for 2410606 to connect to the Black kill wire and the Red harness power wire.. Like I said it's been awhile..

Old 06-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default shoot me a email @ woodsmen1734@gmail.com I'll show

shoot me a email @ woodsmen1734@gmail.com I'll show you a picture of the setup

Old 06-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by woodsmen1734
That wire doesn't have power all the time then? I'm pretty sure that's where I am plugged into. If you look back at my previous post where I posted pictures, you'll see. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3250086
Is there where you are plugged into?

If so, I wonder why I am having a problem with the ATV reading the RPM's???

Old 06-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hate to keep throwing a monkey wrench into this ,but I keep finding post after post on this forum and other forums that mention the red wire.You're changing to a dci system with the upgrade and if I'm not mistaken red/yellow is what reads rpms and could be the problem on the "statr" on the display if it's hooked up wrong.
Don't know if any of this helps.

Here's just two of five I've found so far:

"Back on the road again!! For my model I had to use 2 jumper harness wires as shown in picture in step 15. I had to dig into the above wire loom to find the red wire male connector which instructions failed to mention. Also, there is a replacement regulator kit for the the replacement regulator which had additional instructions. I had to actually cut on the nose of the front plactic to install it. Great project!
It looks like I'm going to have to do some work on the front axles. They seem a li loose. Plus 1 front and 1 rear outside boot. I may need advice when I get there."

Plus here's one from "another" forum:

"Instructions on wiring are sketchy at best. Got my answer from old polaris tech yesterday morning. Problem resolved. Any one else having this issue there is a red wire buried in the electrical harness. I had to open mine up to find it. I also missed a ground wire that was causing it to try and start with the lights. Double check all your connections. I thought I had mine right but that was not the case. It is running great with the new upgrade."

On top of all this my brains fried also...

Old 06-04-2014, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

I found a good video showing that red wire I'm looking for. On the video he showed a red with white strip wire. That is the one I used.

Quick Reply: 2002 Sportsman 700 Twin "No Spark"