Couple of issues with my new Trail Boss 330 - advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of issues with my new Trail Boss 330 - advice wanted

Hey guys,

Took my quad for its first extended ride yesterday. Couple of issues:

First, when my parking brake is on for a long time, I get brake fluid leaking out from underneath the brake lever. Not a ton, but enough to see and wipe off.

Second, about halfway through the day, it started bogging down on takeoff and quit a time or two. This was right after starting back up, and it seemed to happen intermittently. Not every single time. Once I'd get going it went away. Then next time I'd start it up, it'd die again, almost like it was flooding or maybe even not getting gas.

Any ideas? It's still under warranty for another month, but I'd like to fix it myself if it's not a big deal.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Leaving your park brake on for extended periods will blow the seals in you master/wheel cylinders, that's why most park brakes are cable activated. If it were me I'd get it in before the warranty runs out as you master cylinder will most likely have to be replaced and they ain't cheap. As for your other problem, hard to say... getting a dealer to find/fix an intermittent problem like that is a crap shoot.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Both of my machines will leak though the reservoir gasket slightly like you mention when the park break is set for a period time, so I just try to avoid it unless necessary. Your other problem sounds like a carb adjustment issue. Hard to say for sure. I can tell you this, When the temps are 85-90 + and I've been running my 325 hard or for a long time it will stumble once in a while at start up. But it's never done it enough for me to mess with it. At cooler temps it's never a issue.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. Both times it's done it it has been hotter than heck (90+).

On the stumbling, it could be where I use the accelerator on startup. I may take it in right before warranty is up.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are suffering from gasoline vapor lock. The bike sits long enough that the fuel in the line gets hot enough to turn from liquid to vapor. You start the machine, the carb sucks vapor instead of liquid fuel and stalls out.

Check the fuel line routing and fuel tank shielding. On a hot day, in a plastic fuel tank, the gas can vaporize all by itself.Everyone remembers the Yamaha Grizzly 'gas boiling' incidents, right?.

Also tell your dealer what type of gas you're running, if you are running E85, or 10% Ethanol, the quad may need adjusting for that type of fuel.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Do Not mess around until the warranty is "almost up",get it in now and then if the issues are not fixed You will still have some time to take it back and time for them to mess with it some more.

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 PM
Spinners New Bitch!

I agree get it in now so you know it's covered I just bought a Polaris 850 XP EPS last week and the muffler melted the plastics and the bottom of the seat Due to inconsistancy at the factory and it was backfiring it only has 2 hours on it I called Polaris industries and spoke with the head engineer and he was great they called my dealer and told them how to fix it if you need the number let me know it sucks to have problems with a new bike especially when it's your first Polaris like it is for me now they might even be recalling the 850xp because I'm the ten person this has happened too and if I didn't call I wouldn't be getting new plastics so handle it A.S.A.P.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by quad master
I agree get it in now so you know it's covered I just bought a Polaris 850 XP EPS last week and the muffler melted the plastics and the bottom of the seat Due to inconsistancy at the factory and it was backfiring it only has 2 hours on it I called Polaris industries and spoke with the head engineer and he was great they called my dealer and told them how to fix it if you need the number let me know it sucks to have problems with a new bike especially when it's your first Polaris like it is for me now they might even be recalling the 850xp because I'm the ten person this has happened too and if I didn't call I wouldn't be getting new plastics so handle it A.S.A.P.
If you have the number, post it.

Too many of us have called Polaris and gotten the runaround.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Spinners New Bitch!

1-888-704-5290 let me know if you get the run around with this number is so I'll give you the engineers office number

Quick Reply: Couple of issues with my new Trail Boss 330 - advice wanted