Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone Interested in Polaris EFI Diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Interested in Polaris EFI Diagnostics?

Since Polaris does not allow its customers to buy any Polaris Diagnostic tools, I decided to build my own and write my own Diagnostic Software.

I figured out what Diagnostic Hardware was required. I then figured out what Software Protocol was being used for my 2005 Sportsman 800. I have built a working prototype that allows me to communicate with the on-board engine computer. I can read any diagnostic codes, the software version and other information (such as sensor readings). This Diagnostic System interfaces to any laptop computer running Windows and that has either a Serial Port or a USB Port.

This Polaris Diagnostic Link is used on the 2005-06 EFI RANGERS equipped with a twin cylinder engine (700) and the Polaris 2004-06 EFI ATVs equipped with a twin cylinder engine (700/800).

I am thinking about selling this tool w/software but would like to first see how much interest there is and what people would be willing to pay.
I am also considering teaming up with an existing diagnostic tool seller.
I have also been considering buying a new Polaris w/EFI to build a similar tool for newer models. Let me know which one you are interested in.

Finally, if anyone has an actual Polaris Diagnostic unit they would care to loan me, I could use it to figure out the few remaining questions that I have. I'd be more than happy to give them the first diagnostic unit for free (assuming we get that far). I would only need it for about a week.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

be careful here not to take copy rights away form polaris lol. anyways, if you do decide to market or sell these, do not do it on this forum w/ prices or what not as you are not a paid advertiser w/ the atv connection forum. you may receive inquires via PM messaging. thanks.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

I would be interestedwould like it for all efi machines

Old 11-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Id be interested as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

im definatly interested in how you went about connecting and the finer details, pm me

Old 07-10-2011, 06:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i'm guessing since he only had 2 post that the tool never came to past.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

His last paragraph actually summed it up! In other words a dealer would have to give him their copy of Digital Wrench for him to "figure out the few remaining questions"! This could cause a dealer to lose their "right" to sell Polaris products along with BOTH parties possible meeting in court with a few Polaris attorneys! Copyright infringement anyone! NEVER would work as an "individual" authorized dealer number is required on every hookup to access the software! It would be like handing a pistol to someone and saying "shoot me in the foot" They would be caught! Probably the same with other manufacturers. OPT

Old 07-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

after 7 years the patent protection allows for aftermarket,...way it works in the auto world,...should work same here,..just new ground in atv world! what one should do is design a dynastic system that works an all brands an sizes,...that would make it lot more marketable!! thay got them for cars!! even got complete aftermarket efi setups with stand alone self calibrating computers!! less than 2000 bucks!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

either way it's a moot thread and never would come to past on here.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Interested

Originally Posted by RedWingsFan
Since Polaris does not allow its customers to buy any Polaris Diagnostic tools, I decided to build my own and write my own Diagnostic Software.

I figured out what Diagnostic Hardware was required. I then figured out what Software Protocol was being used for my 2005 Sportsman 800. I have built a working prototype that allows me to communicate with the on-board engine computer. I can read any diagnostic codes, the software version and other information (such as sensor readings). This Diagnostic System interfaces to any laptop computer running Windows and that has either a Serial Port or a USB Port.

This Polaris Diagnostic Link is used on the 2005-06 EFI RANGERS equipped with a twin cylinder engine (700) and the Polaris 2004-06 EFI ATVs equipped with a twin cylinder engine (700/800).

I am thinking about selling this tool w/software but would like to first see how much interest there is and what people would be willing to pay.
I am also considering teaming up with an existing diagnostic tool seller.
I have also been considering buying a new Polaris w/EFI to build a similar tool for newer models. Let me know which one you are interested in.

Finally, if anyone has an actual Polaris Diagnostic unit they would care to loan me, I could use it to figure out the few remaining questions that I have. I'd be more than happy to give them the first diagnostic unit for free (assuming we get that far). I would only need it for about a week.
I am definitely interested if you come up with something for a 2015 Ranger 570EFI.

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested in Polaris EFI Diagnostics?