ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Best snow tire... (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/334057-best-snow-tire.html)

JCDEYO25 01-11-2011 09:36 AM

Best snow tire...

In your opinion, what is the best tire in the snow? I still have my stock PXT's and they hold their own plowing but I seem to have some issues in deep snow...I basically use my sportsman mostly for plowing and hunting...I know alot of guys like XTR's but I am leaning towards Maxxis Zillas...Also, will 28's fit on my '05 without lift on the proper rims? I really don't wanna reclutch so maybe I should get 27's...Well anyway maybe you guys can throw some info my way...Much appreciated...

John

awsume800efi 01-11-2011 09:46 AM

i run 28" silverbacks on my 05 800 with no lift, no problem, and before i clutched mine i was running 28" itp 589's and never had an issue with belt slippage the only reason i clutched it was so i got some of the snap back in the 800

Mongrol 01-11-2011 09:47 AM

Have a look at the Grim Reapers.

JCDEYO25 01-11-2011 09:53 AM

awesome800...

Thanks for the info...

Mongrol...

I thought you were gonna tell me to get tracks...lol...I will check out the reapers...thanks as well..

John

TLC 01-11-2011 10:16 AM

From what I see good mud tires make good snow tires. Tall self cleaning lugs help in the snow as well as in mud.

But no matter what you have once the ATV high centers in the snow its game over and it time for a set of tracks or a snowmobile.

Flat4awd 01-11-2011 08:10 PM

it all depend on how much snow you want to ride.

It you will never face snow deep enough to touch the frame (getting high centered) then mud tires will swim through the snow.

If there is enough snow to get stuck, then you need tires that won't dig a lot. You will need to rely on "adherence" rather than "traction" to keep going, so a smooth, flexible tire with low pressure is the way to go.

on local forums (Quebec, canada), I see that a lot of people use Cheng Shin C-828 LumberJack as winter tire to do trail riding. They are more flexible because of 2-ply, and are good candidates to car-type studding, wich make them an ideal tire for snowy and icy conditions.

For Light (sport) ATV, Maxxis 4-Snow and Kenda Snow Mad are the way to go. I use Snow Mad on the scrambler, and can float over the white stuff with more ease than with my old AT489 or new SwampLites at the back. In the front, I use the swamplites wiich I reversed and that I run with low pressure (2 psi)

cooptroop5 01-11-2011 08:42 PM

I bought these and I only have 2wd, my uncle like them and bought 4 for his honda, cheap on shipping when i bought them.
Kenda K299 Bear Claw ATV Tire - BikeBandit.com

700 sportsman 01-12-2011 06:49 AM

I have 27" XTR's and I've had mine up to the fenders, and with enough momentum and powdery snow you should be ok

ATPmike 01-12-2011 08:29 AM

I put on a set of Big Horn last season and have not had a problem. I use my quad pretty much the same as you do and the Big Horns have served me well.

JCDEYO25 01-12-2011 11:01 AM

Ok guys thanks for all the replies...I will look into the tires mentioned...I know the horns and the XTR's have proven themselves so either would be great I'm sure...But I still have my eyes on a nice set of 28 in. Zillas...We'll see...

John

switzomatic 01-12-2011 11:16 AM

Zillas work great in the snow!!!

readymixer169 01-12-2011 12:07 PM

Installed a set of the zilla's on my buddy's ride last year and he says they do great in snow! I've seen them in action in many different situations and am very impressed. I'll have a set before to long.

JCDEYO25 01-12-2011 12:08 PM

Looks like pretty good prices here...

ATV Parts ATV Tires ATV Wheels ATV Accessories: Maxxis Zilla Tires

John

beergut 01-12-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25 (Post 2992023)
Ok guys thanks for all the replies...I will look into the tires mentioned...I know the horns and the XTR's have proven themselves so either would be great I'm sure...But I still have my eyes on a nice set of 28 in. Zillas...We'll see...

John

bighorns & ITP XTR's are totally different tires- from the rubber composition to their application.

I wouldn't buy a set of tires based solely on whether or not it's good in snow- buy them based on your typical riding- and if you need more traction in the snow, just use a set of chains on the rear.

-

IQSLEDNECK 01-12-2011 04:54 PM

I have 27" XTR's on my 550 XP and had it in 22'' of snow yesterday with ease

JCDEYO25 01-12-2011 06:32 PM

I appreciate everyone's imput...

John

convicted21 01-12-2011 07:48 PM

I like the look and reviews of the Zilla but I have heard the best tire for a KingQuad is a Radial. Whats your thoughts on that?

zeebs 01-12-2011 11:15 PM

I also have my sights set on a set of 28" zillas but I dont know if they will fit without a lift kit and wheel spacers. but they are really nice tires from what I have heard. lots of people on the snow and mud forum are running them.

Boss Man 01-13-2011 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25 (Post 2991439)
In your opinion, what is the best tire in the snow? I still have my stock PXT's and they hold their own plowing but I seem to have some issues in deep snow...I basically use my sportsman mostly for plowing and hunting...I know alot of guys like XTR's but I am leaning towards Maxxis Zillas...Also, will 28's fit on my '05 without lift on the proper rims? I really don't wanna reclutch so maybe I should get 27's...Well anyway maybe you guys can throw some info my way...Much appreciated...
John

For snow plowing and general trail riding in snow, it's hard to beat Bighorn's aired down to 2 1/2 to 3 lbs air. The bi-direction tread design makes them go as good in reverse as they do forward... big plus for plowing. Plus, they are a great trail tire when the snow is gone. I bet the Grim Reapers are similar.

TheATVSuperStore.com 01-13-2011 11:10 AM

I run the Grim Reapers and LOVE THEM!!

signal15 01-16-2011 11:18 PM

How much snow can one actually go through with an ATV? I just picked up a 98 Sportsman, and it has the stock size tires on it, but they are fairly new. I get stuck in a foot of medium powder, and have to rock it side to side to keep it going.

Is there anything, besides insanely expensive tracks, that will make this thing fun to ride in the snow? Are the Maxxis Zillas going to do it for me?

IQSLEDNECK 01-16-2011 11:47 PM

Well it all depends on groundclearance and footprint size. A radial tire with a flat footprint is gonna be better than a non radial... In my opinion...

I have two 4x4s one with 27" radial (mud lite XTR's) and one with carslie 489's the one with the XTR's has about 13" of ground clearance and man can it rip through some snow!

TLC 01-17-2011 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by signal15 (Post 2993632)
How much snow can one actually go through with an ATV? I just picked up a 98 Sportsman, and it has the stock size tires on it, but they are fairly new. I get stuck in a foot of medium powder, and have to rock it side to side to keep it going.

Is there anything, besides insanely expensive tracks, that will make this thing fun to ride in the snow? Are the Maxxis Zillas going to do it for me?

Just buy a used sled,there way cheaper than ATVs. I bought this 98 500 Skid-doo for the girlfriend its in very good shape for $1800, used ATV tracks sell for $2500! (Canada)
The sled has reverse,hand thumb warmers, long track,electric start, two up,and will do 70mph.

Also its have the price to insure for the year compared to the ATV.

Attachment 17976

beergut 01-17-2011 10:09 AM

I agree with TLC-

Even though I can get through 20" of snow with my 27" XTR's, you need to keep the momentum going- your tires are always spinning and the motor is always winding out just trying to keep going forward. Anything over 12" is really a PITA.

Hell- a new set of tires cost about 1/2 of what you could spend on an older used sled- and you'll have more fun on the sled in deep snow.

I don't understand why people spend $4k on atv tracks when you could spend 1/2 that and buy a decent sled AND spend the other half on a plow setup for your truck. :confused:

09' Sportsman XP 850 01-17-2011 11:07 AM

I have the Maxxis Zilla's on my 850 XP, unstoppable in the snow, and I ride through fields with like 12-30" of snow...

beergut 01-17-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 09' Sportsman XP 850 (Post 2993715)
I have the Maxxis Zilla's on my 850 XP, unstoppable in the snow, and I ride through fields with like 12-30" of snow...

30" would be at the fenders- can't imagine any atv in 30" of snow!

09' Sportsman XP 850 01-17-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by beergut (Post 2993717)
30" would be at the fenders- can't imagine any atv in 30" of snow!

Well its not 30" of fresh fallen snow, its been packed by the weather changing, and the bike floats on top ofmost of the snow, it doesnt just sink right to the ground...

IQSLEDNECK 01-17-2011 01:47 PM

some photos or a video would be able to suport your argument ;-)

CaptainQuint 01-20-2011 02:29 AM

Friend of mine use to do a lot of plowing of parking lots and sidewalks and he swore by ITP radial Holeshot ATRs. They're not an aggressive tire by any means but he said they were great on snow.

switzomatic 01-20-2011 08:32 AM

Clearance is everything in fresh snow regardless of what tires you have but I will say the zillas do a nice job. As for the talk about tracks, one can get a great deal if you look enough. I paid $2200 for a new set of prospector pro-s tracks off craigslist. Prior to that I had a set of first gen prospectors I bought with less than 100 miles for the same price off craigslist too(also sold them for what I paid for them). Yes, you can get a cheap sled for that kind of money but it depends on your preference. I am born and raised in northern MN and have no want, need, or desire to own a sled. That being said, tracks were a great option for me and I can go anywhere with them year around if I so choose. Can't plow with a sled either which made my track purchase well worth it.

JCDEYO25 01-20-2011 12:21 PM

I can see both sides of the story....and I totally agree with the preference of the particular person...When I bought my '05 I bought an atv because it could be used year round to an extent of course....I'm not argueing the fact that it will go anywhere I sled will in deep snow without tracks....So I think switz put it well in saying that's it's your preference...But I can understand TLC's thining also about getting a nice used sled also for not too much money....I guess it just all depends...

John

Big600twin 01-20-2011 12:41 PM

My family has tracks on one of ATV's for the ability to pull the ice shack around the lake. There is no way you are hooking up an Ice Castle in these conditions and pulling with a sled. Also, it is nice to be able to take 3 people (1 facing front, 1 on each side) and all of our gear out ice fishing in 1 trip. We have already pulled out 1 wheeler(tires only) and 2 snowmobiles that got stuck in the slush on the lake. Also when the cabin gets a large snowfall the tracks really help grip for the plowing. Not doing that with a snowmobile. An ATV with tracks definately has advantages depending on your situation.

hallj86 01-21-2011 03:44 PM

Atvs can carry way more for ice fishing.

TLC 01-22-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by hallj86 (Post 2995587)
Atvs can carry way more for ice fishing.

I like using the ATV rather than the snow machine ice fishing if the trail permit you to get to the lake.

The ATVs hold more gear and are much quieter.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/pict...ictureid=25292