Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1987 Trail Boss 4x4 Not running/Barely running

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so im going to ask a dumb question, but ive done many more outboard boat motors than atv motors BUT, isnt there supposed to be oil in there. like all over the fly wheel and such?
And if so how much because i see no fill line or oil window or anything.

the flywheels on outboards are just out there so im a little unsure of this one.

also got that seal out and new one in. just gotta do the other one

Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Where the flywheel is the stator is underneath it everything in there needs to be dry and clean. if theres any rust do your best to clean it out. when I get that far into it I always run some emory cloth over the magnets in the flywheel and over the contacts on the stator just to make sure they are working at there best. when assembling everything back together make sure all surfaces are clean and free from grease. then use some RTV silicone on the mating surfaces. I also do this on the "tin" recoil housing cover being careful to leave a small void in the sealant on the bottom to act as a drain if you will. then if you don`t use your recoil starter and only use your electric start you might want to add some RTV sealant to the underside of the recoil handle. that will seal it from water going in and is easy to pull free should you need to pull start the quad.
The only oil that the motor gets is from the oil injection it mixes with the gas in the lower case and that alone provides enough lubrication for all the bearings and seals. If your not using the oil injection and pre mixing your gas the gas still goes into the lower case before it makes its way into the combustion chamber and the oiled gas lubricates everything just like the oil injection did.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

excellent. thank you very much. what mix would you recommend as my oil pump input is broken off? right now its full of 32 to 1. Also i think i found a place for that bolt going to head there tomorrow morning, gotta love corporate gigs that take off for mlk day so i can get to the little mom n pop hardware specialty places first thing in the morning

Old 01-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

Hey paraord:

I'll chime in, as randyneff and I were on another thread with that exact question.

32:1 is fine, although the actual mixture (if oil pump is working) is less, in the range 40:1 down to 50:1. (I have not yet found a definitive source)

Good luck !

Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by carl-in-nh
Hey paraord:

I'll chime in, as randyneff and I were on another thread with that exact question.

32:1 is fine, although the actual mixture (if oil pump is working) is less, in the range 40:1 down to 50:1. (I have not yet found a definitive source)

Good luck !

Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer

thanks again guys! ill let you know how a do tomorrow pulling the clutch tomorrow

Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 AM
Trailblazer

If you use Amsoil synthetic 2 cycle oil, you can mix 100:1. I know it sounds crazy, but Amsoil says using their oil, you can use it at that ratio in anything. I tried it on some old dirt bikes I didn't care about, and they are still running fine years later. I have one mix now, and it goes into everything. As a side effect, you get more power, no smoke, and almost no smell.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

i couldnt rest easy runnin 100:1 but maybe thats because most of my motors are older than me.
also....its alive..ITS ALIVE!!!!!
i got the clutch off new seal on put everything back together, a little shot of ether and she idled. only for a few mins as its 5 degrees out but im fine with that because it ran! AND REVVED UP!!
It really was not a hard job, hardest part was gettin that clutch off. If i could give one piece of advise its to heat up that clutch with a burnzomatic for a few minutes and it will come off much easier.

Randyneff thanks for your help with this one and assuring me its not that big a job.

Now I just have to easy out the old bleader valve off the rear caliper and bleed out the lines, put my new plastic on, put on the new tires my wife got me for my birthday and I have a nice new to me toy!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

I`m glad you got it all sorted out, keep in mind there is 1 other crank seal on the other side. If you find tuning of the carb isn`t working like it should you might want to consider changing that 1 as well.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

I got both of them, i just did the flywheel side on sunday and the clutch side today. I figured why not do both of em while im gettin into it ya know

Quick Reply: 1987 Trail Boss 4x4 Not running/Barely running