Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1987 Trail Boss 4x4 Not running/Barely running

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice way to go.!!! so the method I said about the 2 screws worked for you i`m assuming. did you make sure to seal the stator housing, you don`t want any water to get in there.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by randyneff6971
Nice way to go.!!! so the method I said about the 2 screws worked for you i`m assuming. did you make sure to seal the stator housing, you don`t want any water to get in there.

Ya know i cant imagine any other way to get that seal out really. the 2 screw method worked great. the hardest part was getting the screw to take, that seal has some hard metal.
And Silicone is a wonderful thing, got that setting up currently and ill cut off the overflow tomorrow evening.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

Way to go. Like i said on another post somewhere, I go 1 step further and seal the tin recoil cover as well being careful to leave a very small gap in the sealant on the bottom to act as a drain then I seal the underside of the recoil handle this way I know for sure no water is getting in where it shouldn`t. and if I need to use the recoil start it simply pulls free from the seal I made.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

ok so im back to going crazy!
It started fine the other day ran and all was grand.
Now i got the day off and i had it running for a few mins earlier this morning so i open up the garage get the thing out and now cant get the thing to start.
it back fired twice both times popping the header off. Not all the way but got it off to one side so it was not seated.
WHAT IS GOING ON??????
Is it just too cold in rochester ny?

Old 01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

ok and now i just checked....no spark. Would a backfire ruin a plug? or the coil? i find it strange that it would go now but thats just me i guess

Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

I don`t think back firing will ruin a plug but who knows try a new plug and check to see if it works against the head if it does put it in its place and if the quad still back fires I`d bet its flooded you will need to drain the exhaust and drain the crank case to drain the crank case there is a 10mm bolt on the crank case its located on the bottom near the front you might have to takes the skid plate off to get to it. undo that bolt and if gas starts pouring out you found the problem as to why its not starting and you will need to check your carb for some reason the float isnt going all the way up to seal the gas out from getting to the motor.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

alrighty, puttin on my carhartt and ill let ya know how it goes!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

......well. theres no drain plug. As in it has been removed and never put back sooooo that is probably what was the original problem but hey i got new seals in right

Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

So what your saying is its just an open hole?????? Thats not good find a bolt that fits in there making sure its no longer than 3/8" im not sure how long the original bolt is but I`m sure 3/8 will be fine. I can go measure 1 after work if you like, put some sealant around the threads and I`m willing to bet it starts and Purrrrrrs like a kitten.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Yep it was just an open hole. i called one of the local polaris dealers and he said come on down. i walk up and tell them i called asking for the bolt and he pulls it out from behind the desk and says "dont say i never gave ya anything" so that was pretty cool no charge on the drain plug.
Ill put that in and update with what happens!

Quick Reply: 1987 Trail Boss 4x4 Not running/Barely running