Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new to this forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to this forum

I am looking at getting a Polaris Sportsman 500 HO in the next couple weeks and was wondering a few things 1) what is the best break in procedure I have read and heard several ways 2) can anyone tell me what the plug is by the handlebars? 3) which winch should I go with 1250 or the 2500 I don't intend on using it all that much mostly for a plow or lifting my deer (into a tree to hang) during season 4) does it matter what grade of gas is used in it (again heard use higher octane first 2-3 tanks and heard it dont matter)

this will be my 1st quad that I have owned and want it to last a while I have ridden friends and families but want it taken care of and want it to last me a long time

Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

I've always gone by the "ride it like your gonna ride it" break in. Never had any problems.

Not sure on the plug, maybe a better description?

I'd go with the 2500. You might get away with the 1250, but if you get to the point it won't work, you're gonna be doing an install all over again.

Always used regular 87 octane. Unless it's modified and high performance, you're wallet will be the only thin that notices.

Keep up with the maintenance and it should last you for years to come.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

From the manual.
The break-in period for your new Polaris ATV is the first ten hours of operation, or the time it takes to use the first two full tanks of gasoline. No single action on your part is as important as following the procedures for a proper break-in. Careful treatment of a new engine and drive components will result in more efficient performance and longer life for these components.
CAUTION
Excessive heat build-up during the first three hours of operation will damage close-fitted engine parts and drive components. Do not operate at full throttle or high speeds during the first three hours of use.
Engine and Drivetrain Break-in
1. Fill the fuel tank with gasoline. See page 42.
2. Check the oil reservoir level on the dipstick. See page 81. Add oil if necessary to maintain the level between the safe and add marks.
3. Drive slowly at first. Select an open area that allows room to familiarize yourself with vehicle operation and handling.
4. Vary the throttle positions. Do not operate at sustained idle.
5. Perform regular checks on fluid levels, controls and areas outlined on the daily pre-ride inspection checklist. See page 54.
6. Pull only light loads.
7. During the break-in period, change both the oil and the filter at 20 hours, 200 miles, or one month, whichever comes first.
PVT Break-in (Clutches/Belt)
A proper break-in of the clutches and drive belt will ensure a longer life and better performance. Break in the clutches and belt by operating at slower speeds during the break-in period as recommended.
Pull only light loads. Avoid aggressive acceleration and high speed
operation during the break-in period.
Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane number of 87=(R+ M/2) octane.

I'm not sure what plug you are referring to. If it is a white plug that is kind of flat it is probably the on board diagnstic plug. It would be right by the center of the handlebars.

Go with the 2500 lb. winch and carry a ****** block pulley. The bigger the better. If you get stuck in mud it multiplies the effort needed to pull the quad out. A ****** block will half the effort needed and make the winches job easieer.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

its a little white plug looks almost like a 4 pin trailer wiring plug its white and seen them on the (as your sitting on it the right side) when I asked the salesman he said he thought it was for a battery tender but was not 100% certain as I was the only one that has asked about it

any other suggestions on accessories for it? I want to get a "saddle bag" that doubles as a seat cushion for a 2nd rider the winch and plow I will basically be using it for recreational riding (behind me is 150 acres of trails I can ride anytime I want) and for using to get me to the pond and back and for deer hunting

Old 04-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the plug is hanging out under the headlight pod,just stuff it back under out of the way,just a connector used on the assy line to check out electrical system. OPT

Old 04-09-2011, 11:09 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

ATV Accessories Atv Stuff

Great place to get bags for the four wheeler - Quality American Made Bags.

The 500 HO is a solid machine and is a proven platform with close to on million units produced.

Breakin should be followed by the instructions written in the manual.

Any grade of gas works just fine.

Buy a 2500 or biggger WARN winch. The cheap winches are junk...you get what you pay for when it comes to winches. The WARN last forever.