Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 trailblazer starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 trailblazer starter issues

On a 05 trailblazer 250 the starter spins over fine and connects with the flywheel but only for about 1 second, it then pulls back and away from the starter. The starter is still spinning. I have pulled the cover off to see what it is doing. Has anyone ever ran into this problem? I pulled the flywheel and the assembly that goes between the starter and flywheel seems to be in very good shape.

Is there a way to remove the starter without pulling the clutches on this model? I have looked around for an online manual but have not found one.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like your starter bendix (gear shaft) is kicking back. Its what engages the flywheel. Could be weak spring, worn parts, etc,That is if your starter and battery are in good shape(Does the starter spin fast with the bendix out??) Plus check the small inserts where the bendix rides in the recoil housing and case for galling,cracks. Have you tried to grease the bendix and try again? If the starter is bad,its a little tough getting out,but can be done without clutch pulling. It was easier for me to pull the clutches,then you have a direct shot at the starter and mounting bracket and don't have to cuss as much. OPT

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sounds like your starter bendix (gear shaft) is kicking back. Its what engages the flywheel. Could be weak spring, worn parts, etc,That is if your starter and battery are in good shape(Does the starter spin fast with the bendix out??) Plus check the small inserts where the bendix rides in the recoil housing and case for galling,cracks. Have you tried to grease the bendix and try again? If the starter is bad,its a little tough getting out,but can be done without clutch pulling. It was easier for me to pull the clutches,then you have a direct shot at the starter and mounting bracket and don't have to cuss as much. OPT
Yes that is exactly what is hapening. Even when I pulled the outer cover I could watch it happen. The bendix looks almost brand new. It comes out and engages on the flywheel but then pops back in a second later while still spinning. It does not seem like it takes much force to pop it out by hand. It is very smooth.

I tried jumping the battery off the truck and it does the same thing so I know it is not the battery. That is why I am wondering about the starter. It seems to spin fast enough but possibly there is not enough speed to hold the bendix out??

Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If in doubt about starter,you can clean up and install new brush kit,as far as bendix,not too many parts you can change except spring. Are teeth on bendix worn also? Can cause kick back problems. OPT

Old 04-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer

If in doubt about starter,you can clean up and install new brush kit,as far as bendix,not too many parts you can change except spring. Are teeth on bendix worn also? Can cause kick back problems. OPT
The bendix looks to me like it has been changed at one time because it looks just like new with no wear.

What if the compression was a bit low on the bike? If that were the case would the starter turn the engine over without too without much resistance allowing the bendix to pull back? My reasoning is that it is the initial turning of the starter that pushes the bendix out but once it is up to speed it is the resistance of the flywheel that holds it engaged. I did notice that the idle screw looked like it was turned in to the point that the spring was tight. I have not done a compression test on this bike but what should it be and I will do one today?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just take the spark plug out and see if engine turns over. BUT this is not a surefire test on starter and bendix,may turn over,BUT may not with plug back in. Still say problem is in starter, or bendix, or battery,etc. Carb won't have any thing to do with it UNLESS engine full of gas. Usually when bendix kicks back is because of weak spring in bendix,worn teeth,starter running slow,or voltage. OPT

Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer

Just take the spark plug out and see if engine turns over. BUT this is not a surefire test on starter and bendix,may turn over,BUT may not with plug back in. Still say problem is in starter, or bendix, or battery,etc. Carb won't have any thing to do with it UNLESS engine full of gas. Usually when bendix kicks back is because of weak spring in bendix,worn teeth,starter running slow,or voltage. OPT
Well I don't know what I did but cleaned things up and put it back together and seems to work good now.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by thriller
Well I don't know what I did but cleaned things up and put it back together and seems to work good now.
Good,now go ride! Happy trails!! OPT