ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   2006 Polaris Hawkeye Questions! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/335877-2006-polaris-hawkeye-questions.html)

Lolumad273 03-23-2011 04:55 PM

2006 Polaris Hawkeye Questions!

I've been thinking of buying a Dynojet kit, as I'd like my Hawkeye to be a bit stronger. I've also read about drilling the slide. I'm only sixteen... so these things are a bit difficult for me to grasp. My questions are, are there any downsides to doing this sort of thing? Also, where can I find out how to tear down a Carburetor? Or will the Dynojet kit tell me how?
thanks

Mongrol 03-23-2011 08:09 PM

Save your money. Hawkeye only has 17 hp so if you're lucky enough to get a 10% increase thats 1.7 hp. I tried most everything and found out that it is what it is. A 300Cc engine with 17 hp. Have fun with it.

Lolumad273 03-23-2011 08:22 PM

Dynojet kit's only 47 dollars. You really don't think that's worth it? Thanks for the input though.

The rest of the questions still stand though, first time riding in New York, I couldn't get the Hawkeye past 36. Was going 42 pretty easily in Texas. I was riding in a corn field, think that was just because of how bumpy it is? Otherwise I'd assume, with my limited knowledge, an improperly jetted carb.

Mongrol 03-23-2011 08:35 PM

Totally stock my 06 Hawkeye would run 48 mph all day. I did manage to get it to 52 mph once but it took a long run.

Lolumad273 03-23-2011 09:06 PM

Damn, if I could figure out how to get it to hit that speed, I'd be set. Love the Hawkeye's size. Get through forests really great. I'll have to start researching how to tune a carburetor... I'll test it on some smoother ground eventually, then I'll update this, heh.

Thanks again.

Jmuddin284 03-23-2011 09:40 PM

I'd say clutch it... with it being shaft drive you can't change the sprockets, so change the springs, ect.ect.ect Look around at EPI and Heelclicker and then call rick ritter. Between the three of em they're bound to get you to get everything the 300 has to offer

Lolumad273 03-24-2011 04:51 PM

Thanks, but I'm not really sure what any of that is... sorry to say. I did hear about taking off clutch weights or something. What exactly does that do?

HawkeyeRider 03-24-2011 09:55 PM

Removing clutch weights will allow your motor to rev more before the pulleys change the drive ratio.....(will give you more bottom end power) but will take away from your top end speed. If you do allot of slow trail riding, hill climbing,rock climbing, or playing in thick mud, this will help. But as the others have said, the Hawkeye is a 300...no ifs ands or buts about it. It has been a great bike for me once I got things tuned to my type of riding and love the size. Good luck with what you decide to do.

switzomatic 03-25-2011 02:44 AM

Jetting can be tricky and time consuming to get it right. Your difference in speed between NY and TX could be from factors such as elevation and such which will affect performance. Might be as simple as cleaning the carb to get more speed. Try youtube for some self help vids and definitely get a factory service manual. They are pretty basic to work on.

Jmuddin284 03-25-2011 10:53 AM

I'm not exactly sure about all the clutching stuff either, but if you goto rittercycle.com and give Rick a call and he can definately help you out with a setup that'll get all 300cc's down to the tires