Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Performance loss from adding wheels/tires on 550 XP

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye 007
ftwflh...If a person is not an extreme rock crawler, mud rider, who uses their atv for work on the farm, would they need to re-clutch for stock size but heavier tires? Spartacus seems to be an ideal tire for farm work as it's rain or shine 24/7.
no.

Unless you're replacing your stock tires with cement filled tires- your clutch doesn’t know the difference if the 50 lbs is from heavier tires, a loaded cooler on the rear rack or filling up your tank of gas-
There is a dealer recommended total weight capacity for every atv- unless you’re outside that weight, you don’t need to re-clutch.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beergut, Quick reply... Thanks, Hawkeye

Old 04-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ftwflh
Guys I have been modding Polaris for over 15yrs and have a very good concept on how the CVT systems operate and what each of the components do.I have set up mudders to drag to mean trail machines.AND YES clutching is serious.Not only will you loose some power but not getting the clutching right will cause problems such as smoking and blowing belts.But if you guys dont want my advice on these thing or think I am full of it I will refrain from posting on this forum until asked for correct info.
Boy someone sure has a big head...esp considering that equipment listed in the sig. This is a forum and everyone has an opinion - why is yours so much better??

Old 04-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just because it works doesn't mean it's right. It's called tuning for a reason.... ftwflh is saying to get the most out of the combo adjust your clutch accordingly. I'm not sure why so many people flame the dude for his tips. Heavier tires will decrease performance. With a little tweaking it can be all but eliminated. I say do it if not for the gains, then for the experience.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawkeye 007
ftwflh...If a person is not an extreme rock crawler, mud rider, who uses their atv for work on the farm, would they need to re-clutch for stock size but heavier tires? Spartacus seems to be an ideal tire for farm work as it's rain or shine 24/7.
Only if you feel heat building up on the belt cover.But I like to reclutch from stock for personal preferences.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default My 2 pennies worth.

Someone once said every pound of rotating weight equals 10lbs of weight added to the racks so if he is gaining 30lbs with the new tires the motor and clutches will feel 300 lbs of extra work load. Re clutching or tuning the clutch would really make the belt grab better and therefore last longer. Personally tuning the clutches is where most of the performance is lost or gained in these auto transmission ATV's.
BUT it all comes down to personal prefrence if you do not want to do the clutch adjustments do NOT do them.