Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Took the primary clutch of my sp500 and found this

Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the primary clutch of my sp500 and found this

I have a 2000 sp500 with 1200 miles. I have been having some creeping issues, so I decided to by a clutch puller and remove the cluch. The first thing i found were two 3/8" cracks on the sheaves right above the one way bearing. The second thing I did was to push down on clutch to compress the spring and noticed that about 50% of the time the cluch would get caught and would not spring to its full open position. I held the clutch in the compressed position and cleaned thoroughly with break cleaner. After that it springs to its full open postion all the time. Could that be all that was needed? Sould I worry about the cracks in the sheaves? Also, how much play should there be with the one way bearing (in and out to and from the crank? The belt is realativly new and the idle and motor mounts are fine.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumberjim
I have a 2000 sp500 with 1200 miles. I have been having some creeping issues, so I decided to by a clutch puller and remove the cluch. The first thing i found were two 3/8" cracks on the sheaves right above the one way bearing. The second thing I did was to push down on clutch to compress the spring and noticed that about 50% of the time the cluch would get caught and would not spring to its full open position. I held the clutch in the compressed position and cleaned thoroughly with break cleaner. After that it springs to its full open postion all the time. Could that be all that was needed? Sould I worry about the cracks in the sheaves? Also, how much play should there be with the one way bearing (in and out to and from the crank? The belt is realativly new and the idle and motor mounts are fine.

Thanks,

Jim
Small hair line cracks can happen, but if cracks are large, could lead to problems. Belt dust(if possible blow out dust but don't breathe while your doing it! Dust can cause clutch sticking along with worn clutch plain bearings,but if yours springs back after cleaning,should be ok,but I would check the slide buttons and see if where they ride are smooth and not grooved also. The one way,if fiber washer is intact and washer under one way bearing cap is not worn down,the factory clearance is about .020 using a feeler gauge between the fiber washer and bearing,will be more as washers wear. If more than about .040-.050 may be time to do a little over haul. If slack excessive could lead to creeping ,also alignment on rear clutch to front clutch can be adjusted by removing or adding washers behind rear clutch. Just look as clutches are running in neutral,see if belt is touching inner front clutch sheath,if so adding washer or two could bring belt out,reverse if riding on outer sheath,removing washer(s). OPT

Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

being dirty when belt dust could make it stick as you mentioned. best thing is to throw it back on and try it to see. make sure the one way bushing and around it(fiber washers) are clean too if you can. imo

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

After work today I was going to put the clutch back on when I decided to push up and down on it again. After I initially cleaned it, it worked great. Now that the brake clean dried out one of the weights gets hung up on the "center bushing" causing the sheaves not to open up. What to do next? Should I just by a new primary clutch? Should I rebuild it with the small cracks in the sheeves?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 04-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could be that the weights or rollers are starting to wear out causing them to hang up. the cracks in the sheeves will most likley get worse over time where you will have to replace the clutch but hard to tell how long it will before that will happen. imo

Old 04-21-2011, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

if you buy a new clutch get one for a n 08 or newer 800, much better clutch

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Plumberjim
After work today I was going to put the clutch back on when I decided to push up and down on it again. After I initially cleaned it, it worked great. Now that the brake clean dried out one of the weights gets hung up on the "center bushing" causing the sheaves not to open up. What to do next? Should I just by a new primary clutch? Should I rebuild it with the small cracks in the sheeves?

Thanks,

Jim
Clutch bearings or as I call em "bushings' are worn allowing counter weight legs to stick on center cap because of bearing ovaling, the clutch wobbles and moves inward just enough to touch weights. You can push in and then one of the other legs will stick. I've encountered a bunch of these and in my "earlier days' I would even try to "taper the weight ends" Doesn't work! I would get an estimate on parts and labor along with one way washers replaced(your there,might as well) plus if cracks more than hairline,then could be best option is to spring for a new clutch. OPT

Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of the info guys. Today I ordered and new clutch and weights. I did not want to rebuild the old clutch and still have cracked sheeves.

Thanks

Jim