Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sure Power Failures

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sure Power Failures

I just heard from the dealer yesterday. They are replacing my Sure Power unit due to a failure. Once they install it, it will be the fourth Sure Power unit that has been installed in the quad. I have had it for exactly 2 years. The symptom of the failure: the quad does nothing when the key is turned on.

Polaris is not accepting the dealer's request for a good faith (free) replacement.

Anybody else had an issue with the Sure Power unit?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sure Power Failures

the only other person who had the most trouble w/ thier ecm was caper. maybe he'll chime in on how many and what he has now.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes i am having the same type of problem . mine is a 05 polaris 500 wont start for nothing with the key . so i jumped the wires out and it started up . and runs . when you turn the key to accessories does the cluster come on but when you turn it to start does the cluster go off ?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced several sure power modules,I guess Polaris has probably said enough after more than three claims OR will no longer replace free,PERIOD? My question is this is a SAFETY BULLETIN,(government required recall,don't now if there is a time limit,its been going on 6 years now!) This can be dangerous to the atv and property if stored inside a building.Seems like the engineers could have enough time to finally get em right! Lawyer time? Get the feds involved? OPT

Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there should be no time limit on safety recalls, but it wouldn't suprise me that polaris would try to cheap there way out.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Whats a Sure Power Unit?

Don,t tell me I have to modify my signature again. LOL

Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Electronic Control Module on carb equipped machines,main job is for charging and fan operation,but can screw up machine by no fan,not charging,overheating and catching on fire, or just burn out and can't start! Recalls were on 2005 machines,but I've replaced some on 2004 and 2006 atvs.
There are ecms as they are called on the parts break down on fuel injected atvs,but they are actually ECU electronic control unit,controls most of machines functions through sensors. Funny though that on the fuel injected atvs they call em ecms,but on the fuel injected Rangers they are called correctly,ECU modules. NO TLC you don't have an ecm or ecu if you have a 2001 model,you have a regulator/rectifier plus a thermal sensor on the radiator for the fan! OPT

Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

In my 08 Polaris manual they call the module a PDM or Power Distribution Module for the carbs and a ECU for the fuel injected machines . There is no mention that I can see about something named a ECM in my book . For the record I'v had 0 issues with my PDM in now over 9000 miles and 3 years running .

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

WOW 9000 miles in only 3 years that alot of outings. Our 97 only has about 8000 miles.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Spdecat
In my 08 Polaris manual they call the module a PDM or Power Distribution Module for the carbs and a ECU for the fuel injected machines . There is no mention that I can see about something named a ECM in my book . For the record I'v had 0 issues with my PDM in now over 9000 miles and 3 years running .
Polaris has never decided what to call em!! Every year the manuals and parts breakdown calls em something different! They are called ecm units on the carb model Rangers also,basically does the same thing. I got p********************************d every time I looked at a new manual! On the 08 Scrambler they called em a controller module! On the 08 500 carb its called an ecm These two are from the online Pure Polaris parts catalog! Guess you can call em what you want! OPT

Quick Reply: Sure Power Failures