Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 90 Stator same as Chinese 7 coil stator?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 90 Stator same as Chinese 7 coil stator?

I need a new stator for my Sportsman 90, I pulled it out and it looks exactly like the 7 coil stator for a chinese 2 stroke.
Stator Magneto 29 for 2 Stroke Engines 7 Coil - Sm272-29 - 2-Stroke Stators - Stator Magnetos
For $35

Of course the same outfit sells one for my Polaris for $99 but conviently has not got around to getting a photo of it on the site.

There is a outfit on ebay selling them for $85 and has one at auction for POLARIS SPORTSMAN PREDATOR SCRAMBLER 90 50 STATOR 01-06 | eBay at $51 but 16 hours to go.

Does anyone know if they are the same. I know they use a different color wire but go to the exact location.
I thing I'm going to buy one and check the ohm reading against my manual.
Pisses me off they charge 3x as much for the Polaris one, which i'm willing to be is the same part.
Thanks
ken

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Before pulling the trigger on a new stator, make sure you don't have other issues.
My 04 predator 90 had a weak spark. Replaced the stator once with an aftermarket and it solved the problem... I thought.
Then the weak spark issue resurfaced. Bought a replacement CDI... still weak spark.
Swapped out the coil with a known working one... still weak spark.
The resistance readings on the stator where not within the specs that I found online. This could have been attributed to being a non-oem model.
I was just getting ready to replace the stator with the one you linked to when I found this post ATVSource.com Social Community Forums • Information
that stated to gound the black / white strip wire of the CDI. This bypasses the upper controls. As soon as I grounded the CDI I had a strong spark again and the predator was up and running again.
Found the main switch was faulty, even though when the key was turned the ATV would crank. Sprayed some electrical cleaner in the connections and in the key assembly and now I'm good to go.

Anyone need a brand new CDI?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have a pdf manual with the test procedure, unfortunatey I have a short to ground on one of the leads to the stator. I removed it, unsoldered the wire and tested at the soldier ponts, still shorted too ground. Its pooched.
If anyone needs a copy of the manual let me know.
Where you looking at the chinese one or the ebay one.
These engines shut off if the ground from the coil is removed, so I supose a bad ground between the stator and the coil through the key could cause weak spark. But I think I need a new one.
Ken

Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Well finally got around to getting this running tonight with the cheaper $35 stator for the chinese 2 strokes quads. It almost exactly the same as my old one and runs just fine.
All I had to do was pop the crank seal out of the old one as the new one was @ 2mm larger id.
This seal has no steel and was easy to remove and pop into the new stator.

Also the trigger coil was set to close and contacted the trigger on the flywheel. I just lossened the 2 screws and adjusted it back .040" and all was good.
The wire also have a different color code. The 3 wires in the plug just hook right up. The two single wires I just traced back to the same location on the stator as the original and conected them.
No reason to spend $80 or more on a stator for a preditor 50, or sportsman 90 or preditor 90, the $35 one is exactly the same.
I think I'm going to get a spare at this price as my buddy has a 01 sportman 90 and its also the same as my buddy 90 Cat. Just so our little guys are not out of comission long next time.