Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

need helpp water in my motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need helpp water in my motor

i went riding an found this pond where i was doin really good till i sunk it an water filled everything now i cant get the waterr out of the motor its a 02 kodiak 400 plz help me u can even txt me at 518-881-5168

Old 05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 f250
i went riding an found this pond where i was doin really good till i sunk it an water filled everything now i cant get the waterr out of the motor its a 02 kodiak 400 plz help me u can even txt me at 518-881-5168
Regardless of brand,they DON'T like water, they're NOT submarines. Drain the oil and filter,drain or remove fuel tank and flush,carb will probably have water in it and need to be cleaned. Fuel lines need to be blown out.I would remove spark plug and spray wd 40 OR equivalent down into cylinder. After oil is drained,install new filter and oil. Along with fresh gas,check air filter also for water and replace if necessary. After cranking up and running for a couple minutes,CHECK the oil for milky presence.IF you find that,you need to drain the oil AGAIN to remove all traces from engine!! I've had to "burn" as much as 6 quarts of oil on the Sportsman 500's especially because of the dry sump system.Since yours is a wet sump,shouldn't be that drastic!! Kerosine is another "old fashioned" way to help remove water. Just drain oil,replace drain plug and fill kerosine to oil inlet until almost running out of engine,let it sit for awhile,remove spark plug and if you have a recoil starter,just turn the engine over slowly by hand (IGNITION OFF) to allow the solvent to help clean,then drain and add oil and filter. DON'T wait a "few" days,the quicker you get to it the better!! NOT ONE of my favorite jobs,but has to be done right or engine damage can happen! Good luck and any other questions just ask. PS FORGOT to say WELCOME to the forum!! Any future repair questions please ask in the YAMAHA section,plenty of good guys to help you!! . OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. also you'll have to most likely drain tranny, and rear end as well. check out the yamaha section for good info on your bike as well.