Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Parts for 1989 Big Boss Project

Old 06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Parts for 1989 Big Boss Project

Seems that parts can be elusive for my old beast. Not looking to wear out my welcome here, but if anyone can chime in, I am all ears. I have looked on the net for a particular part (Prob. the first of many tough ones to find)... the one I am looking for is the hydraulic or perhaps pneumatic cylinder that acts like a hatchback-lift dampener and support mechanism. It is under the utility dump on the Big Boss. Looking like I might have to do some real digging on just hoping to find something with similar stroke and weight rating. Guess I can do that, but it would be nice to find a proper replacement. The schematic lists it as item 4... but there is no number listed on mrcycles.com, and PolarisPartshouse.com says their replacement (if they ever had one) has been discontinued... but at least they show it was originally part # 7041221. Anybody help on this one...? Crossing my fingers sinbce there are some exceedingly experienced people here. Just hate to keep bugging the same folks... Thanks. - Doug

Old 06-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon Doug
Seems that parts can be elusive for my old beast. Not looking to wear out my welcome here, but if anyone can chime in, I am all ears. I have looked on the net for a particular part (Prob. the first of many tough ones to find)... the one I am looking for is the hydraulic or perhaps pneumatic cylinder that acts like a hatchback-lift dampener and support mechanism. It is under the utility dump on the Big Boss. Looking like I might have to do some real digging on just hoping to find something with similar stroke and weight rating. Guess I can do that, but it would be nice to find a proper replacement. The schematic lists it as item 4... but there is no number listed on mrcycles.com, and PolarisPartshouse.com says their replacement (if they ever had one) has been discontinued... but at least they show it was originally part # 7041221. Anybody help on this one...? Crossing my fingers sinbce there are some exceedingly experienced people here. Just hate to keep bugging the same folks... Thanks. - Doug
Just take it to an auto parts dealer,should be able to come close OR you can try a later Polaris Big Boss and may actually work??,BUT I'm sure will be higher price!!! Other than the engine parts,SOME will be hard to find or NLA. Look at PURE POLARIS PARTS CATALOG,will show what in most cases is available or not. OPT