Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 4wd engaging when in 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 4wd engaging when in 2wd

The front left wheel of my 03 scrambler 500 is engaging when at high speeds with the quad in 2wd. It causes the quad to pull hard to the left. I tightened the nut, but it still does it. I don't have a torque wrench so set the exact torque of the nut. Can anyone offer some advice as to what could be causing this?

Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Try changing the hub fluid first,it can fix many strange quirks. The king nuts torque is very important in the operation of the front wheel drive ,its almost the only time I used a torque wrench when I changed a seal once on mine.

It "CAN NOT" go over 14 or 12 pounds per square inch (I forget now) I would look it up but my manual is at the cottage.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

When i tightened the nut I changed the hub fluid. I will try taking it all back apart and check for any signs of wear. When i put it back together i will try to leave the nut a little more loose this time and see how that works.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Not sure if this thread helps but these two guys are talking about how the sytyem works. May have some useful tips for you.

All Polaris Hilliary locking hubs are the same no matter the year or model I think.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...-awd-coil.html

Also did you use the right stuff? Polaris makes a AWD hub fluid and a different one for the newer models with locking front diff rather then locking hubs.

Did you drain the excess fluid out at the right position , The manual says at the 4 O'Clock position.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by natedg1421
When i tightened the nut I changed the hub fluid. I will try taking it all back apart and check for any signs of wear. When i put it back together i will try to leave the nut a little more loose this time and see how that works.
Main reason for wheels to lockup even in two wheel drive is worn armature plates that have become magnetized allowing the hilliard to to engage the hub! Very dangerous when this happens! Low hub oil can cause this to happen,plus just over a period of time the armature plates will simply magnetize especially if you leave the control switch in awd constantly. Just like placing a screw driver next to a magnet,will magnetize it for awhile. Replace this plate along with any rough,worn bearings,plus check the inside of the hub and hilliard assembly for scoring. Torque to 12 foot pounds only and use Polaris Demand Drive Plus hub fluid. This is main reason they went to centalized awd system instead of in the hubs. I've known several people hurt from this,part of it their fault for not changing hub fluid every 50 hrs,plus just general lack of maintenance. OPT

Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

I believe that I used the right stuff. I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the exact name, but I believe it's Polaris transmission fluid. I filled the hub until fluid came out at the 3 o'clock position. The other side is filled to the same level and I'm not having a problem. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by natedg1421
I believe that I used the right stuff. I don't have it in front of me so I can't tell you the exact name, but I believe it's Polaris transmission fluid. I filled the hub until fluid came out at the 3 o'clock position. The other side is filled to the same level and I'm not having a problem. Thanks for your help.
It must say HUB fluid,not transmission fluid! Transmission fluid is too thick! When they first came out in the mid 80s they used Type F transmission fluid,but since about 94 or so, they have been using hub fluid which is even thinner and works better! You fill at 12 o'clock position,turn to four o'clock,drain the excess,little extra won't hurt and then put the plug back in. OPT

Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Use Polaris Premium Hub Drive Fluid (#2781654)

This one says for Centralized and Hub drive?

Look at them all! you can go crazy figuring it all out. LOL http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...evelcode=14057

Name:  DSCF0532.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  60.9 KB

Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

THANX TLC! A pictures worth a thousand words as they say! They even have a newer oil than this,Demand Drive Plus Hub Fluid! Just enough to keep a lot of people confused! OPT

Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 AM
Trailblazer

the demand drive plus hub fluid says its for both centralized and outboard huib systems

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 4wd engaging when in 2wd