Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First time plowing with the ATV and New plow (Wear bar wearing pretty quick) pic.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time plowing with the ATV and New plow (Wear bar wearing pretty quick) pic.

We got our first good snow today and I got to use the new Eagle plow finally. It was a blast, and that 60" country blade can move alot of snow!

So after a couple hours of plowing I see the wear bar has a nice 45 degree wear mark all the way across it, seems like that would be a normal break in? But I have already rounded off the corners of it. I think I dragged them a few times when I had the blade lifted at a tilted angle. And probally when plowing parallel with a curb. I just didnt expect them to wear so quickly. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I bought an extra wear bar with the plow $27 for a 60" I know the bar can be flipped too. I am just not sure if I am going to be burning them up way to fast??

A few weeks ago I adjusted the skids and had them set where I thought they should be. The blade is barely touching the ground and the skids are dragging on the ground too. I even gave it a short dry run. I want the blade to clean the snow all the way down to the concrete. (My wife thinks the plow is overkill, and the snowblower was just fine) she would really confirm her theory if the plow is leaving a 1/4" of snow and ice on the drive.

Thanks for any help

Attached Thumbnails First time plowing with the ATV and New plow  (Wear bar wearing pretty quick) pic.-plow-wear-bar-001.jpg   First time plowing with the ATV and New plow  (Wear bar wearing pretty quick) pic.-plow-wear-bar-002.jpg  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to adjust the skids to raise the plow a bit. I have 3 seasons on my wear bar and it still looks great.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

If you want to scrape to bare pavement, you need to take the skids off. It can't possibly scrape all the snow off when the skids are holding the plow up off the pavement.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely looks like the tilt/dragging is causing edge wear. See if they offer a hd bar. I know Polaris did for the glaciers and they held up a lot better than the stocker. Scraping to the concrete will wear them faster but should last longer than a few runs for sure. You can easily make your own out of heavier steel if Eagle doesn't offer them. I have their 66" v-plow on my RZR and the bar on that is holding up well.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it almost looks like either the angle is some how putting all the weight on that edge or maybe the steel is very weak and is not hardened. i've never seen that kind or wear on any plow edge that quick.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Pro Rider

do you have a good machine shop, welding shop nearby?take the new wear bar to them and have them make you a H_D one, probaably cost less than factory replacement

Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
do you have a good machine shop, welding shop nearby?take the new wear bar to them and have them make you a H_D one, probaably cost less than factory replacement
Ditto! I snagged a piece of scrap 5/16" flat bar stock from work last year and it'll probably outlast the plow. Plus it adds a little more weight to the blade and seems to scrape better than the stock cutting edge.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

The 45 degree wear angle is normal. I plow with my truck but the principles would be the same. The outside edges will wear faster because when you angle the blade you put more pressure on the outside corners. Especially if your aframe isn't parallel with the ground. Think about it this way when you raise yuor blade up and angle it see how one end is higher then the other one. If your push tubes aren't parallel you have the same effect on the ground. Also if your drive way isn't flat going out to the street you will have more wear on the leading corner because the corner will hit the street first so the very tip will have a lot of pressure.

They come with just mild steel edges, I agree have one made of high carbon steel and it will last a lot longer.

I also just got to try plowing with a wheeler for the first time. I put a plow on my wife's 550 so she can get out when we get big storms because I am out for a couple days and I have the skidloader with me also. It was kinda fun but I like having heat and a radio. It did amaze me how easily it pushed it though.