Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what is the differance between 1992 trail boss 250 and 2x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the differance between 1992 trail boss 250 and 2x4

Does anyone know the differance between 1992 trail boss 250 and 2x4 model ?

Also could use some help with the strut mount on the top, According the the diagram I have all the parts but can't figure out how they go. every way I try it the top is not tight at all. What am I missing ?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m5619sch487976

thx

Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a heck of a lot of difference between the two models.Used basically the same parts! Gear case assembly was only one number difference,and decals different. Both had the same body style.
As far as the top strut mount,the round pivot ball spacer slips on the strut shaft,lift strut up into the strut mounting tab,place the upper flat plastic spacer (recessed side up) on strut shaft,place rubber washer on top of this,then metal washer,then hand tighten the nut. You can clamp a pair of vice grips close to the top of the strut cartridge shaft(as to not scar the strut) and turn the vice grips until it hits the frame which locks the strut shaft from turning. Then you can tighten top nut (5/8" or 3/4") until its tight. Then release vice grips. OPT

Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

The TB trans has a forward and reverse. The 250 2x4 has a high, low and reverse. Also the 2x4 came from the factory with the front rack. the TB did not.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Also if I remember correctly there was difference in tires.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks ! I thought the high and low was the difference in the two, but wasn't sure. As far as the strut I have done what you mentioned and even after the nut is tight it’s is still very loose like it is missing a spacer or something. The treaded spacer seems too long and stops the nut before the assembly is tight.

Do I make any sense? LOL

I bought new #12 and #14 in the parts diagram, there was none on the struts at all.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The threaded spacer will be a little long! The plastic bottom pivot ball slips over this and bottoms up against the strut mounting tab! The rest of the cartridge threads stick through and this is where the upper pivot ball as its called will sit with the recessed side up,then the rubber washer,metal washer and nut! Should be simple enough to replace! Did you replace the strut cartridge with an OEM or aftermarket one? Did you bottom the cartridge in the strut housing? Were you able to tighten the threaded spacer all the way on the strut cap? IF you DIDN'T replace the pivot ball lower and upper,this could be your problem!! Especially the bottom! It wears more than the top and may not allow the strut to tighten securely!!ALSO over a period of time the bottom pivot ball can crack and fly out along with the top one also! Have found them missing these parts!! Low range and racks were basically the only difference as mentioned. Suspension,body parts and the rest were mostly the same OPT

Old 12-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Range Rover

Humm, the number 11: PIVOT,BALL,BOTTOM is the same part that goes on top of the spring correct ? Also my spacer is round not square,but know it doesn't matter. I just got the ATV and fixing stuff on it, there were no upper ball pivots at all on it. Maybe I didn't have the nut all the way tight,I might just cut the spacers down If I can't get it to work. I never have workd on the polaris struts before so have no referance except pictures, Mayne not the correst spacer or strut.

Here's a thought, is the top washer that goes on before the nut supposed to just go over the strut threads or over the spacer?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pivot ball bottom goes over the threaded nut! Then you lift the strut up(bottoming the ball in the strut mount) and the rest of the threads go through the mounting plate and THEN the top plastic pivot ball(really a plastic plate) goes over this,then the rubber washer,metal washer just slides on top of the rubber washer,then the nut!! Sounds like you are missing some parts PS DON'T cut the spacer(threaded adapter!) Just make sure you have ALL the parts! OPT

Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

OK With you saying "Pivot ball bottom goes over the threaded nut" Think you meant spacer. So What I have is the spring top then spacer screws down on top of it, so I am actually missing # 11 PIVOT, BALL, BOTTOM that goes on next before it goes up against the mount. This would sure fix the extra space.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Whuggs1
OK With you saying "Pivot ball bottom goes over the threaded nut" Think you meant spacer. So What I have is the spring top then spacer screws down on top of it, so I am actually missing # 11 PIVOT, BALL, BOTTOM that goes on next before it goes up against the mount. This would sure fix the extra space.
I thought that was what you were missing! OPT

Quick Reply: what is the differance between 1992 trail boss 250 and 2x4