Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris xplorer 400 no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You've either have an ignition switch shorting out,solenoid should only power up with the ignition on,or you have a direct short in the ignition harness?? . Check this area out first. OPT

Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will check that tomorrow and ill let you know what i figure out!
THANKS OPT

Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM
Trailblazer

Ok so I went out after work yesterday and swapped out the key switch and still the same is there any other part of the ignition I should be checking? ive tried looking at every wire thats exposed and I don't see anything that would be causing my problems. Im kidda lost the thing was fine before I pulled the motor, all the wires are color coated and ive checked them a couple times don't know what could be wrong! Do you guys have any ideas for me?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Since you've changed the switch you could have a short in the ignition harness itself. This is where it's best to ohm out the wires for any internal breaks or shorts,plus double check all your connections,since you said it was fine before you transferred engines. OPT

Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Trailblazer

Ok now the ignition harness is that the wires coming from the key or the wiring coming from the battery! And do they have to be specific ohm? sorry to ask so many question I just never been that good at electrical stuff!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by moddedscrambler
Ok now the ignition harness is that the wires coming from the key or the wiring coming from the battery! And do they have to be specific ohm? sorry to ask so many question I just never been that good at electrical stuff!
You may have to remove the sheath from the wiring,using an ohm meter touch each end of the same wire and if continuous with no shorts or breaks it should zero out on the meter. Tedious job. Especially trace the wire leading to the solenoid as you say it is hot as soon as you hook up the battery?? Still sounds like you have something wrong if all worked before you swapped the engine?? OPT

Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer

ok so i got it figured out i pinch a wire in the front bumper, i fixed it and got it running again but for some reason the key switch or kill switch both will not kill the motor! i know the key switch is good i pulled it off one of my other atvs! what could cause this and the funny thing is the light low oil light turns on and off with the key but i have to pull the plug to shut it off

Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Trailblazer

anyone i have checked all the grounds i know the ignition switch is working the tail light come on and off with the key but still cant get it to shut off with the key or kill switch!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by moddedscrambler
ok so i got it figured out i pinch a wire in the front bumper, i fixed it and got it running again but for some reason the key switch or kill switch both will not kill the motor! i know the key switch is good i pulled it off one of my other atvs! what could cause this and the funny thing is the light low oil light turns on and off with the key but i have to pull the plug to shut it off
Do you have the black wire from the cdi(kill wire) hooked up properly? If you do you could have a problem with the left control switch connection. Plus it's not uncommon for the kill circuit in the cdi to short out and the only way to kill it is to ckoke it down. I've had this happen also. If the oil light stays on with plenty of oil in the tank,then the float on the sensor is probably oil soaked (sinking down triggering oil light) and this sensor assembly can be popped out and a new one plugged back in. OPT