Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler500's carb flooded with water after washing

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-1999, 03:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just wondered if anybody can help me. Two weeks ago after riding in very wet conditions my 99 Scrambler 500 ran fine until I washed it. I left the atv running and used a garden hose to spray it down. Everytime I wash it the belt gets wet real bad but it doesn't happen when I ride in wet conditions. I can deal with this but the main problem now is right after I finished washing it, I tried to give it gas and it wanted to bog down immediately and it would not even move. After trying to get it to go it cut off and I could not get it cranked. Two days ago I took my air filter off and placed my hand over the intake (where the air filter goes on) and tried to crank it to see if any air was going into the carb. It pulled alot of air in and then water shot back into the airbox. I cranked it a couple more times to see if I could get the water out and finally it started to spit back water and gas. I looked down the tube and it looks like the choke is stuck closed. I have the plastic, gas tank and airbox removed. What is my next step to fix this problem and what else should I do to prevent this from happening again? I have never messed with a carb so I don't know what to do. ----ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED---
Thanks,
Steve Thompson

Old 07-15-1999, 04:40 PM
Ron
Weekend Warrior

I think the first thing you should do is read the manual that came with your bike and then find someone knowledgable about maintaining a quad. Dont spray water down the tranny tubes, dont spray water in the airbox snorkle. Pull the plug from the airbox and drain the water, pull the spark plug and pump some water out, change the oil and filter in case you really got water where it shouldnt be. Park the bike untill you know how to properly take care of it. You can do major damage to that 4 stroke by turning the engine over if it is full of water.

Old 07-15-1999, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

Your first mistake was washing the bike with it running. NEVER do this because the engine runs on vacuum...air not water. You've probably got a carb full of water.

If you're a little mechanically inclined, take off the carb and dump it out. If you do this on a piece of glass, the water will bead immediately and show itself.

Spray it out good with carb cleaner and give it a day in the sun...put her back together and try it again.

Don't forget the filter! Clean it out with kerosene or the recomended solvents.

As for the cylinder...moisture don't burn so you'll have be patient till it blows out. If the bikes been running, you won't damage it, just get the water out of the carb and filter and don't do that again...good luck

------------------
Steve Small,

00' 400ex,

Old 07-15-1999, 06:08 PM
Range Rover

Ron, First off I do know how to care for an atv. Second, I DID NOT spray any water up any tubes or even near the openings to them. I AM NOT A F&%#ING idiot. EXtreme,My mistake was leaving it running, I have never had this problem in 15 years of washing bikes or atvs when running. I assumed that you left it running to keep water from going up the tailpipe. Still I always, everyday washed my Sportsman 500 with it running and never had a problem. Thanks for that advice. What filter are you talking about?? My air filter never got wet so I am not sure where the water got in. From now on I won't leave it running when I wash it. I didn't think it would be a problem because it is always running in wet conditions without sucking in water.
Thanks for replying EXtreme

Old 07-16-1999, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

Steve, I was assuming that you took water in through the air filter or possibly an area in-line to the carb. The vacuum will suck it in if it got under the seat and into the air intake. Check that carb for water. Another problem can occur from cold water on a hot bike which will make condensation within the system. Puddles are one thing but don't give it help with a hose.

------------------
Steve Small, 00' 400ex, 00' 325 Trail Boss for the Mrs.

Old 07-22-1999, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Steve,
Find your carburetor, locate the drain screw for the float bowl, and unscrew it... if it doesnt start draining fuel out of the little tube, take the screw completely out, and run a small piece of stiff wire up thru there to break lose the dirt and crud.(NOTE.. put out your cigarettes and get away from the BBQ grille first!! lolol) once you have fuel flowing output the screw back in, leave it lose, and let some fuel run out. The piece of glass is a good idea to detect water drops, or you can use a mason jar so you dont have a fuel mess and you can also see the water drops in the bottom, once you have fuel flowing out the drain tube onto the ground/glass/jar,if youre on main, switch to reserve and let it run for a few seconds there also, shut off your fuel valve from the tank. and let the carburetor completely drain. Close the drain screw (DON'T OVERTIGHTEN!!!!) Then open the tank valve, give it a minute or two to refill the bowl, change your sparkplug while you wait.... push the machine out away from the gas mess you just made, and start it up...!! let it idle for a few minutes(until fan has cycled on and back off atleast once) then shut it down, drain the carburetor one more time for good measure, change the oil and filter, and consider yourself lucky and done!!

Old 07-23-1999, 03:22 PM
Range Rover

Thanks alot guys, I will have it running correctly very soon thanks to y'all. Plug has been changed and the oil and carb is getting cleaned today. I still can't figure out how the water got in unless it got sucked in through a vacuum line cause it was running while I washed it but it definatly didn't go in through the air filter.

Y'all have been a big help thanks alot,

Steve