Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by toy_ota64
success i have spark.. woo now i am going to remove the carb and make sure it is clean before trying to start... as well the drive clutch has some cracks in the sheave is there some where a person could order the part that is cracked?
If the clutch sheaths just have small "spider" type hairline cracks from heat it may still be operable. Almost all at some time do this. But if they are pretty large then yes,best to see if you can replace them. Be careful on ordering used sheaths on Ebay,etc as you can get one just as bad. It's bad that you can't order individual new sheaths from Polaris or other online places. Maybe someone else knows a good place you can try. OPT

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Polaris tech what do you think about welding the cracks up ? Have you heard of anyone doing this?

Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by toy_ota64
Old Polaris tech what do you think about welding the cracks up ? Have you heard of anyone doing this?
If the cracks are big enough to weld,then they really do need to be replaced!! Plus with aluminum and magnesium I wouldn't trust it any way if they could be welded. OPT

Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys I am still working on this magnum and still haven't tried to start it. I located a new clutch so That will be fixed but I have a new issue seems to be lots with this quad. I topped off the coolant and low And behold it took a hole jug and I noticed a leak on the engine. Some coolant coming from the base gasket just my luck. The gasket looks to be hanging out in some spots. So my question is can I remove the head and cylinder with out having to totally take apart the engine? I just wanna swap gaskets and put back together.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can do it in the frame but it's tight working conditions if you have big hands. Look for any leaks at the water pump weep hole also as the w/p seal may need to be replaced also. OPT

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default no fire

Hey everyone so i am still messing with this quad just dont have alot of time so i just tried starting it again and no go. I have got spark and seam to have fuel but it wont fire. i am puzzled once again does anyone have any insight on this. I did a quick compression test and pulled it over may 8 times and only got 60 is this correct?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

between 60-90 psi is about average with the cam detent. Won't show true compression. Forgot what year model Magum you have and if it's the 500? If it's a 500 and a 2000 or older model, could have a cam problem like many of the early model had. The exhaust lobes were soft and would grind down. PS just looked at your first post and saw it's a 2000 500. Plus check the valve clearance along with the cam lobe. Valves set at .006 intake and exhaust. OPT

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey OTP yes this quad is a 2000 polaris magnum 500. The cam shaft was supposivly change once already. i had a quick look tonight and there seams to be fuel leaking from the exhaust . So it must forsure be getting fuel and when i pull the plug and try it. THere is a nice crisp spark.... i tryed putting my hand over the intake as i tried to start it and it spit out some gas so i didnt think that was right. I am unsure i know the base gasket is leaking some coolant but it should still fire. Even with that! what else could be wrong.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I would still turn the engine over with the valve cover off and check that the exhaust lobe is egg shaped same as the two intake lobes are and check the rocker arm clearance on the valves. .006 intake and exhaust. If this is ok,then it could be just a carb problem. OPT

Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

alright i havent had time to check the cam yet but i went out to the garage and i could smell gas.. there was a puddle under my quad.. the carb seems to be flooding itself.. there is fuel leaking out the manifold and into the air box... would this be the cause that the quad will not fire at all? do i just need to buy a carb rebuild kit for this issue? or what do u think?

Quick Reply: 2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark