Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by toy_ota64
alright i havent had time to check the cam yet but i went out to the garage and i could smell gas.. there was a puddle under my quad.. the carb seems to be flooding itself.. there is fuel leaking out the manifold and into the air box... would this be the cause that the quad will not fire at all? do i just need to buy a carb rebuild kit for this issue? or what do u think?
I would definitely install a carb kit or at least a new needle and seat to stop the fuel leaking first!
Moose makes a good kit and you can get everything needed for what a needle and seat would cost at a dealer.This could be the cause or part of the problem you're having. OPT

Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevleetee
Check for a black wire by itself up front under the hood/rack,it runs to the cdi box. This wire carries the signal to kill the spark,whether it be from the key,left handlebar switch,reverse limiter,etc switch.Unplug it and hit the start button to see if you have spark.
I just put a new stator in and the 4 wheeler fired right up and ran great. I parked it over night and bought a new battery and installed it. I went to crank my four wheeler and nothing happened. I checked the spark plug it was fouled so I put another one in it. Turns out I have no fire. What would cause it to run yesterday fine and not even crank today.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Retrace your steps on the stator harness! Could be a loose connection or a brown(ground wire) problem. Did you replace the entire stator and pick up (pulser coil) also? Plus check the simple things too like the plug wire itself for any cuts.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you and yes I changed everything. There was one wire under the front hood it was a brown ground wire mounted to the coil it also had a brown wire coming off of it with a connector on it. I couldn't find anything that the brown wire with the brown connecter wire to plug into.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some models used a split brown ground wire and had an extra one just hanging loose from where they mount on the bottom coil bolt. Make sure this area where all the browns tie in are tight. This is the main grounding area for all the electronics. OPT

Old 03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2000 polaris magnum finally fires

Hi OPT, It has been awhile since i have wrote on this thread. And i pretty much gave up on this quad for quite some time. But i finally was able to get some work done on it. We ended up tearing it down to replace the base gasket and now officially got the hole motor back together. We Tried to start it once again and it would not go. We pulled the plug and checked for spark. We had spark but the plug was dry. It was not getting any fuel. So we tried starting it once again and i put my hand over the intake hole where the air filter mounts and it burped out some fuel into the air box and fired. so we tried starting once more and it started up. So now its running but when i rev it up and let off it back fires and pisses around till its back at a idle.

As well now that it was running i let it run for quite some time and shut it off and it started right back up. But I left it for a couple hours and went to try and start it again and it wouldnt fire once again. so i put my hand over the intake once more and it spit fuel out again and then finally fired up again. So i guess my question would be what do you think would be the issue with it not sucking the fuel? and do u think the back fireing would be a cause of the fuel problem or a timing issue?

thanks

Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Torque the head down to specs? Did you ever check the cam lobes? If the cam is ok,valves are set at .006, and carb is clean/new carb kit,then check the fuel lines running from the fuel pump to the carb. Just pull the line at the carb and crank the engine over.There should be a pulse of fuel flowing. If not then you could have trash in the fuel valve or fuel pump.Another thing is you have to have the air box back on,will run lean and bog,spit back you don't.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey yes we torque to specs. I found a torch spec on another forum about the proper sequence.
The carb definatly has fuel in it. I turned out the small drain plug on the bottom of the bowl and fuel came out. It's just as if the vacuum isn't sucking the needle up . And allowing the fuel to come to the engine.

How would one check the lobes on the cam?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The early 425 and 500 cams up until the 2001 Sportsman 500 HO had a problem with wear on the exhaust lobes. The symptoms were good idle,but when giving throttle they would spit and back fire,and no power. I replaced more than I can count. Pics are courtesy of Justjoe. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...d-cam-pic.html
OPT

Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The early 425 and 500 cams up until the 2001 Sportsman 500 HO had a problem with wear on the exhaust lobes. The symptoms were good idle,but when giving throttle they would spit and back fire,and no power. I replaced more than I can count. Pics are courtesy of Justjoe. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...d-cam-pic.html
OPT
Alright. The guy I got it from said he had just replaced the cam not to long ago... So I am pretty sure it's not be cam but I will check. It more less was just backfiring and spitting when I let off the throttle and it idled down. That's why I was wondering if it would be timing . As well
I think it may be a vacuum problem or would the cam cause it to not suck fuel in. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2000 Polaris Magnum 500 no spark