ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Cyclone or Trail Boss?? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/347601-cyclone-trail-boss.html)

neo27ny 11-13-2012 03:31 PM

Cyclone or Trail Boss??

I just bought an older polaris which I was told was a trail boss 250. After doing some searching and stuff I'm not certain if it's a trail boss or a cyclone. The plastics are white and look to be in great condition without any factory decals. Someone had put their own decals across the side though that says "250X". The plastics look sportier and the bike doesn't have any front or rear racks. The seat though says 250 R/ES which I think is a trail boss seat and doesn't line up 100%, it has a gap between the front and the tank. Are there any major tell tale differences between the two that will give it away? I've looked for a model number but haven't found anything yet. Where exactly is the model number on these older bikes? Also it has the headlight that sticks out from the handle bars not the type that is enclosed in the front plastic. I'm guessing it to be a mid to late 80's....Any help is appreciated.

old polaris tech 11-13-2012 03:37 PM

250 R/ES came out in 1988(only made that year),vaguely remember them as this was the first year our shop opened up. Sold 4 total machines that year! Look here on the parts break down.Model # and serial # stickers were on the right down tube on the early ones. A lot of times these were worn off. Can't remember off hand on other locations on the atv for other #'s and if there is a metal plate with the #'s on them. This was the new body style,but still had the gear shift on the transmission! Browse PS just thought about that gap on the seat! They had a tendency to curl up and warp, not touching the fuel tank when the seat was left in the sun and rain ! If you don't have the newer body style(headlight enclosed) and has the BIG Blue fuel tank then someone maybe mismatching parts also and you may have an 87 model?? I'd like to see some pics :)
OPT

neo27ny 11-13-2012 04:44 PM

Hmm interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to do a thorough search for some type of number on the frame. It will be awhile before I can look at it and get some pics. The bike is at my mother in laws about an hour and a half away and I won't be going back until thanksgiving. I didn't get a chance to go over it thoroughly yet. Thanks again, I'll update when I look it over and get some pics.

neo27ny 11-16-2012 01:38 AM

Also I had read about people premixing their fuel and the guy that sold it said if it was him he would premix the fuel and bypass the oil injection. Are their any benefits to premixing the gas and oil? I would assume it has a better consistency for the bike. I've never owned a 2 stroke before but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the oil and gas don't get mixed very well with an oil injection. I'll be updating on my bike after thanksgiving. Thanks again.

old polaris tech 11-16-2012 04:44 AM

People panic on these old oil pump systems but very few fail.They are reliable for the most part and when people have a seizure they blame it on the oil pump when in fact most of the time it's just from neglect on doing a top end and then the piston shatters and does damage. Premix if you want (40-1 ratio) but make sure the oil injector at the cylinder base is blocked off. OPT

neo27ny 11-17-2012 10:45 AM

When you say People neglect doing a top end what do you mean? I've come across more than one post on various sites about people doing scheduled tear downs and cleanings, is this what you are referring to or an actual piston/rings rebuild? Also if cleanings are required what all is involved in that? This is my first two stroke and I've been reading up trying to gather info to properly maintain it. Thanks.

old polaris tech 11-17-2012 12:04 PM

On a machine this old always do a compression check when you buy one! The 2 strokes are a simple engine,but do require top end/engine rebuilds a lot more frequently than four stroke engines. It's just the nature of the beast! They have less moving parts,but the oil in the fuel mixture is the only thing that lubricates bearings,piston rings,etc. If compression is 115 or lower,could be time to "freshen up" with a new top end(have cylinder bored, new piston,rings, gaskets),OR with an old engine,it may need a new rod kit on the crank and new crank bearings and seals also. Just part of owning a two stroke atv!!. High compression two strokes(race atvs,dirt bikes) require a lot more "maintenance" We did a lot of top end work on our cross country racing customers. Just check out the basics,spark and compression before you do anything! OPT

neo27ny 11-17-2012 12:55 PM

I apologize for all the questions but I do have another. Are the older 250 2 stroke engines the same. Like I was saying earlier I was told it was a trail boss but I am not 100% on that, just curious in case I do end up rebuilding the top end if all the rebuild kits are the same or if they differ between models/years. Thanks again for all the help.

old polaris tech 11-17-2012 01:09 PM

Most of the difference are in the stator changes over the years along with with different crank seal ,bearing updated numbers,etc. As far as top end components(pistons,rings,gaskets,etc) they're basically the same and the parts breakdown will list the latest updated number if you need parts. The problem is on the electronics. You have to know what year you have to make sure parts are right. Just compare engine parts on an 87 and 88 (no matter if it's a Trail Boss 2x4,4x4,Cyclone,etc) in the parts breakdown and you will see any differences. Do you have the BIG BLUE fuel tank? This means it's at least an 87 model or older. http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
OPT

neo27ny 11-23-2012 05:30 PM

Well I found out that it's a cyclone. I was unable to find any model number though. There is a serial number on the frame in front of the head but from what I've been reading they only made them in 87? It needs a carb boot, it's torn. I need to get the brakes working and it needs new shocks. I'm having trouble finding parts, I'd like to rebuild the carb as well if I can get hold of a kit. It has brand new bear claw tires on the front. I'll get some pics up when I can.