ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Need help with 2004 Sportsman 600 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/348030-need-help-2004-sportsman-600-a.html)

Yekrats 12-08-2012 02:32 PM

Need help with 2004 Sportsman 600

A friend of mine needs the $$ and the space so he just sold me a 2004 Sportsman for a steal(my first atv). The only problem is it doesn't run. It's been sitting, broken in his garage for 2-3 years now.

I figure my first step is going to be changing the battery and getting some fresh gas into it. It has some gas, but not much. Do I need to empty what I have first? If so, what's the easiest way. Also, searching the internet, I'm seeing the battery for $140-150. Is it better to buy locally? What else should I check out?

Thanks for your help,

~J

old polaris tech 12-08-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Yekrats (Post 3154958)
A friend of mine needs the $$ and the space so he just sold me a 2004 Sportsman for a steal(my first atv). The only problem is it doesn't run. It's been sitting, broken in his garage for 2-3 years now.

I figure my first step is going to be changing the battery and getting some fresh gas into it. It has some gas, but not much. Do I need to empty what I have first? If so, what's the easiest way. Also, searching the internet, I'm seeing the battery for $140-150. Is it better to buy locally? What else should I check out?

Thanks for your help,

~J

First off before you start sinking in money on this machine,pop the front panel and see if it has a DUCATI combo coil/cdi unit. If it does and hasn't been changed out,then that may be the reason it doesn't run! The Kokusan replacement kit # 2202603 is around $450 or so and comes complete with flywheel,stator,cdi,separate coil,reg/rectifier,jumper wires,and instructions. Ducati systems were only used on the 600 and 700 carb models and all had problems, Some early on,some later. "IF" you have the later build 600 with the Kokusan separate cdi and coil,that will eliminate a lot of cost in repairing,providing it's not an engine problem. OPT

jeffreyscott 12-08-2012 06:17 PM

wow good luck thats a long time for something to be sitting good luck

hawaiiankid 12-08-2012 09:54 PM

WOW! What a winter project...

Does the motor even turn over? Use the pull start and see if the engine spins freely. Don't try to start it, just turn it over.

Replace all the fluids. Grease everything. You'll probably have to replace all the fuel lines/filter. Drain the gas tank and clean it. Carb will also have to be rebuilt. New battery.

Have fun, I'm currently working on rebuilding my carb myself for my magnum 330.

I don't want to be in your shoes.

Yekrats 12-08-2012 10:55 PM

Yeah, I know it's gonna be a helluva task getting this thing running. I think I need to buy that battery first before it will attempt to do anything. Once I see if it will even think about turning, I'll be able to figure out the next step.

Doesn't look like I have a pull start, so I can't really try anything at this point.

old polaris tech 12-09-2012 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yekrats (Post 3155035)
Yeah, I know it's gonna be a helluva task getting this thing running. I think I need to buy that battery first before it will attempt to do anything. Once I see if it will even think about turning, I'll be able to figure out the next step.

Doesn't look like I have a pull start, so I can't really try anything at this point.

What is broken on the machine and what's the reason it's been siting two or three years? OPT

Yekrats 12-09-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3155042)
What is broken on the machine and what's the reason it's been siting two or three years? OPT

That's the problem. He's gotten married and had baby since last time it ran, and he doesn't remember.

old polaris tech 12-09-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yekrats (Post 3155067)
That's the problem. He's gotten married and had baby since last time it ran, and he doesn't remember.

Don't forget to check if it has the Ducati combo coil/cdi ignition system along with all else you have to do. OPT

Yekrats 12-09-2012 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3155085)
Don't forget to check if it has the Ducati combo coil/cdi ignition system along with all else you have to do. OPT

I'm guessing I have the older model, since mine says it was manufactured in June of 2003. How do I open that front hood? Will I need to remove the rack first?

old polaris tech 12-10-2012 08:59 AM

NOT necessary to pop the front panel now since the build date was in June! If it was built after 2/23/03 then it has the updated Kokusan ignition system. Now on to the good things to do like new battery, draining the fuel tank,carb rebuild,oil and filter change, tranny fluid change along with the front and rear differential fluid changes,etc :) Keep us posted as to the progress. OPT