Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Sportsman 700 Issues--post ignition kit upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i have started to install my upgrade kit but i have noticed that the solid yellow wire has what appears to be a factory crimp on the end to prevent me from connecting them can you tell me what thats all about or if i need the yellows connected or what? 03 700 2202602 kit

Thank again

Old 04-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Guys,

I recently got a 2002 700 Sportsman that I'm wondering if this kit would solve the issue. I know I have ducatti ignition and I found this post.

The previous owner had the rectifier / regulator done in 2009 for a no start and a new battery.

Its been running fine, havent run it alot in the last 3 - 4 weeks since I've bought it. Changed the oil Thursday and fired right up after that, but didnt really get it up to operating temperature.

Ive since changed the air filter & Outer, front and rear diff fluids and flushed the radiator. When I went to start it again to run it after changing the radiator fluid it doesn't want to go.

Its been a bit cold here in MI, so I'm wondering, but the previous owner used it to plow snow this winter so sounds strange to me.

I put a new good battery in it because I felt the old was on its way out. It starts to fire but then will not keep fireing. Almost like its fuel starved. Wants to try to run better without choke then when choked. However it just fires here and there.

None these things I've done should affect starting that I could think of. Ive checked fuel selector, tried ON and Reserve as well as Off just for the heck of it

Did notice the plug on the exhuast for cleaning out the carbon was open a little the other day, so tighetend that back up and couldnt think of why that would cause it but untightened it anyway and no luck there.

I did notice the notorious carb boot is cracked in many places, not sure if its all the way through or not so I've got a new one on order. I suppose it thats making it run leaner, maybe the combo of cooler air and that would fuel starve it? Or ignition, it does start to fire sometimes though.

Thoughts ideas?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Carb boots were bad on the 700 about cracking,plus replace with the updated Kokusan kit, Polaris #2202602.The Ducati ignition parts are starting to become hard to find and not advisable to use them even if you do. The kit is around $450.Here's the pdf instructions on the kit.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2I&cad=rja

Old 04-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

Would the carb boot cause my issue? Also there are lots of "extra" bolts, greeses etc, noted in the instructions. Are these included in the kit or have to be ordered separately?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Carb boots usually caused lean running condition,etc,but the Ducati ignition is basically junk. They will all eventually fail. You can check some of the previous posts on this forum and other forums on the 2002-to early 2004 700 ignition problems. Or simply do a Google search and you can find several. The kits come complete from the stator up to the reg/rectifier. Look at the parts included on the pdf link I posted. I was still replacing these kits at the time I retired over two years ago.Should have been a Polaris recall,but wasn't!

Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks! I plan to do the ignition at some point. What im trying to figure out is , do I need it now. or will the boot get me back up and running based on my symptoms around my yard and I can do the ignition before I go on any trips. Thanks.

Or did I just bump something and thats why i wont start. I have no problem taking care of problems before they happen, but Im trying to not hit a nail with a sledge hammer if I can hit it with a regular hammer in the short near term.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Replace the carb boot and see if it runs ok. Some of the symptoms were hard starting , backfiring,erratic idle,plus several members on this forum(plus I had a couple customers) that just killed the machines only to come back later and they wouldn't start back up.It's just an ongoing problem on the Ducati ignitions,some go out early,some would last for several years,but when they do the kit is called for even in the stator section on the Polaris Parts Breakdown. Item #2. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

Cool thanks. I just tried starting it again since its about 60 out and it wants to fire much more, that being said, after 4 tries, it didn't start. Boot is on order, should be here friday. I'm going to play with it more tomorrow night and troubleshoot and decide then if I order the ignition kit now.

What part is the regulator/rectifier? I'm guessing since my CDI says ducatti when the regulator was done by the dealer in 09, it was just that piece replaced?

Thanks for all your help and knowledge. I know I'm asking tons of questions, just trying to understand it all fully.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Item #23,but you'd get a newer one for the Kokusan kit. This module's just for charging the battery.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Item #23,but you'd get a newer one for the Kokusan kit. This module's just for charging the battery.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
So I did some troubleshooting. Looks to be a boot and idle setting issue. Wrapped some electrical tape around the boot and saw it flex and kinda balloon in spots. It also ran w some throttle applied. So it needs the new boot and idle adjustment. Should have part soon and can post exact after I finish it.

Quick Reply: 2003 Sportsman 700 Issues--post ignition kit upgrade