ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Buying 550 Touring - advice on winch/plow (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/349745-buying-550-touring-advice-winch-plow.html)

mcordani 03-18-2013 09:58 AM

Buying 550 Touring - advice on winch/plow

Hi, I'm about to make a leap and upgrade the old Trailboss to a 550 Touring to enjoy with the kids. I want to plow with it so I wanted to get advice on a winch/plow.

First with the winch I am a little worried about getting a polaris winch as it is made in China. Also I am leaning Warn because of their warranty. Would the Warn XT25 be adequate for this machine? Looks like a beutiful winch, and I would think it would be powerful enough, especially if you use a block. The XT30 costs alot more than I would like to spend.

As far as plows go I know very little. The Glacier plows/mounts look nice. I see there is a new Glacier III out.

As always any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mongrol 03-18-2013 02:25 PM

The money you save on the cheaper model will do you no good once you're stuck and the cheaper winch can't handle the job.

mcordani 03-18-2013 02:50 PM

No, I agree. That is why I want to make sure I get something that is adequate. So are you saying just not to get a Polaris winch, or that the Warn XT25 is not powerful enough?

MooseHenden 03-18-2013 02:56 PM

Should be powerful enough. I had a Warn 2500 on a Sportsman X2 that is very similar weight-wise to the Touring. Only time I had to use a snatch block is when I slid off a groomed trail in the winter and the snow was 3-4 ft. deep. Winch would not budge it using single line pull but did fine with the snatch block pulley. I also recommend using synthetic rope rather than the steel cable. Much easier to work with and I haven't broken the synthetic yet where plowing I broke the wire two times.

Mongrol 03-18-2013 02:56 PM

No no on the Po winch. My 550 xp has the 3000 lb Warn and I've had it to the max to pull my 550 0ut (900 lbs wit Tracks).

user493 03-18-2013 03:23 PM

You can't go wrong with a Warn winch. I always recommend you get one 3 times the weight of the ATV. That gives you enough power to get out of some pretty bad holes. As for the plow I don't know how good the Glacier 3 is. The Glacier 1 was a good plow that they replaced with the faster to mount but weaker Glacier 2. Hopefully the Glacier 3 is better than that. If not there are a lot of good plows out there.

Mongrol 03-18-2013 03:30 PM

WHEN you get stuck, you'd be happier KNOWING the winch will do the job rather than HOPING it will. But, the 3000 is def more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Have fun either way!

mcordani 03-18-2013 07:07 PM

Good points all. I'll stick with Warn then and get at least the 2500. Is the XT line the way to go? They have 4 lines of winches now so it gets a little confusing.

I'll have to look at reviews for the glacier III. Another question. If I put armor on the bottom of the atv I can only put A arm guards right? You can't put a plow mount and armor on the frame correct? Thanks again.

Mongrol 03-18-2013 07:15 PM

XT-RT both good products. Dont have a plow so no info 4U there/

mcordani 03-20-2013 08:11 AM

I ended up ordering the Warn XT30. Great deal on Amazon for $400 and free shipping. Also Warn has a $50 rebate going right now. Can't beat that winch of $350!

I guess before next winter I'll have to figure out a plow setup. Question for now is I usually add Ricochet armor to my quads. Do any of you know if you can't use armor with a plow mount? I figure I can at least get the a-arm guards as those shouldn't get in the way.