Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris sportsman 400 clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris sportsman 400 clutch noise

So my 2005 sportsman has been making a weird squeal noise out of the clutch area. So I took a video of the noise. The belt smoked a little bit cuz i had it pinned up and line locked to get it to make the noise. It makes it under hard load like accelerating and climbing steep hills. The in out play in video i think is normal but not positive. I replaced the clutch and it stop for a while but started doing it again.I read somewhere that it needs to be shimmed .Any help would be great Thanks

Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

In and out play is normal because if you look at the inside when you do this, it's hitting the drive belt and wedging it against the sheaths. Pinning it and smoking a belt can cause more squealing noise because of the glazed area on the belt. You mentioned the front clutch,but have you changed/checked ramp buttons in the rear clutch also? Check that the belt is riding in the center of the front clutch at idle and at a little above. If not then shims can be added or removed from behind the rear clutch to center it up. Clutch didn't appear to flex,so motor mounts should be ok,but you might want to check especially the front one. A new belt might cure your problems also if there are glazed spots around it. Place a straight edge on top of the clutches and pull down on the center of the belt and if the belt shows an 1 1/2" slack or more it's stretched too far.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have replaced ramps and put new clutch kit in it last year and it stopped. Now it started doing it again. Motor mounts look good that belt has less than 150 miles on it. I have an alignment tool so that is my next thing to check.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by ribsyj
I have replaced ramps and put new clutch kit in it last year and it stopped. Now it started doing it again. Motor mounts look good that belt has less than 150 miles on it. I have an alignment tool so that is my next thing to check.
Look the belt over carefully then. Even with 150 miles you can glaze a belt in a short time using the high range when you should have been in low,pulling loads,etc.Belts are the weak link in the system if used improperly.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

So today i tore into it a little more got it aligned good but did notice the front motormount had a lot of play in it. So i removed and stuck a socket under it and hard mounted it. It all of about stop the noise except for when atv was extremly flexed up. I also notice that the primary has some side to side play like a bushing is wiped out. Im wondering with that front mount being weak did it where out the used clutch i put it. I think i may try another used clutch and change motor mount. Also belt was all glazed up so need a new one.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Replace the motor mount of needed,but don't buy another used clutch. Just have the one way bearing serviced for the fiber and brass washer replacement and buttons if you don't have the spider tool. Just pop the clutch off and have the dealer do it.Most should charge an hour labor plus parts. Labor is probably the cost of the spider tool that you may not use again if you bought one??

Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Replace the motor mount of needed,but don't buy another used clutch. Just have the one way bearing serviced for the fiber and brass washer replacement and buttons if you don't have the spider tool. Just pop the clutch off and have the dealer do it.Most should charge an hour labor plus parts. Labor is probably the cost of the spider tool that you may not use again if you bought one??
I don't think mine has one way bearing cuz it's non ebs

Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yep!Non ebs clutch. Kept thinking it was a 500 instead of the 400. Still if buttons need to be replaced,plain bearings are worn causing the clutch to wobble,then still best to just pop the clutch off and have this done rather than buying another used clutch or buying a spider tool to do this which would probably be the cost or possibly less than the labor at a shop. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse https://polaris.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=183&cat=1&sub=8

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

So a friend of mine lent me his clutch and it was doing same thing. Fustrated i took a break. I started to look over it again and flexed it up. When i moved the rear part of cover it stop. So when i took off primary again the metal ring with three screws that holds the inner cover was missing a screw. I guess when it would flex it would touch the back of the primary. Put new screw in and all good.

Thanks For The help

Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

"For the loss of a nail a shoe was lost,for the loss of a shoe the horse was lost,for the loss of the horse the soldier was lost,for the the loss of a soldier the battle was lost,for the loss of the battle,the war was lost" All for a simple nail. Works that way with screws too I guess! Glad you found the problem and that it was a simple one.