Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 400 XC racing

Old 04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 400 XC racing

Hi I'm wanting to race a 2001 polaris scrambler 400 in cross country what kind of gear will I need also what will I need on my scrambler to do good will I even be allowed to race a scrambler it is 2 stroke whats the best tire and tire size the scrambler has an aftermarket pipe and a brown primary spring and is bored .020 over

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For riding gear, you will want hand guards,lots of rocks get kicked up, and a branch across the knuckles can really hurt. I would also get some good boots, maybe shin and knee pads, a good roost chest guard, neck brace in case you tip in in the trees, roots and rocks. A lot of racers I know also carry a camleback drink system, you can really get dehydrated working that quad in the woods, a good mix of Gatorade and your favorite fruit juice really helps.
Not real familiar with setting up Polaris quads for racng, but sounds like yours isnt too bad to start with. Its not all speed in cross country, a lot is handling and suspension to get you over the bumps without losing speed or control. A bad suspension will wear you out fast, and slow you down in the rough spots, thats where a lot of passing is done, if you can keep in control, you can pass faster quads that have to go around or slow way down for the bad spots.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

Buy the best riding gear that you can afford like boots, gloves, googles, tear offs, pants and a jersey. I would also invest in a steering stabilizer, good grips, aftermarket handlebars, better tires, better rims, front shock springs that are more aggressive and a rear shock set up for you. You will also need to invest in a tether kill switch. Check with your local track and see what rules they have and what class the Scrambler will be racing in. You might be able to race it in a Utlity class or you might have to race it in a Sport quad class. It's usually best to go to a race and just watch first so that you can see what all is going on and what type of equipment the other riders are using and some of the mods that they may have on their quads also.

The best thing to do is to get in as good of shape as possible and practice riding as much as possible. When I was heavily into racing I would spend around 3 hours a day, 5 days a week in the gym working on cardio, weight training and conditioning and several days a week on my practice track. I was also on a strict diet.

You'll also want to check with your local track and see what class you can race the Scrambler in and what their rules are for safety and riding equipment. Be prepared to break stuff. It helps to have sponsors when you race because it gets expensive.

A wise person once told me that the best way to make a little money racing is to start out with a lot of money.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer

Awesome thanks I have a helmet and 661 riding boots that were 350 bucks brand nee

Old 04-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

Ok I contacted IXCR and I would be racing class D