ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   04 sportsman 500 no spark battle HELP!!!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/351175-04-sportsman-500-no-spark-battle-help.html)

Chucks04Sportsman 05-25-2013 09:00 PM

04 sportsman 500 no spark battle HELP!!!!!

I bought an 2004 Sportsman off my cousin , he drove it to his dads , shut it off and would not turn back on I bought it with it not working bought a new ecm and now i have lights and stuff but no spark , now it has new wire harness , new cdi , new ecm , new spark plug wire , new plug boot, new plug , and still no spark , i sanded ground wires down and bolted them down i get very little spark with no boot on spark plug wire , but not enough to do anything threw plug , totally LOST now , can someone help ?

old polaris tech 05-26-2013 04:35 AM

You didn't mention anything about checking out the stator. Check resistance between the white/red and white pulse(trigger) coil wires going to the cdi along with with the stator exciter coil wires Black/red to green. Pulse coil should be around 97 ohms,stator exciter should be around 446 ohms. Both readings + or - 20%. Also something simple as trash/dirt on the pulse coil or flywheel can cause loss of spark or weak spark.

Chucks04Sportsman 05-28-2013 04:42 PM

Sorry forgot to mention the stator is new , i sanded down area for the pick up coil on the fly wheel and cleaned the pick up coil contacts , still only get a tiny spark with the plug boot off , wires coming out of stator are 1-blue 1-green 2-brown 3-yellow it is a new wiring harness guy before me put in , has not been running yet with all these new parts

old polaris tech 05-28-2013 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chucks04Sportsman (Post 3190785)
Sorry forgot to mention the stator is new , i sanded down area for the pick up coil on the fly wheel and cleaned the pick up coil contacts , still only get a tiny spark with the plug boot off , wires coming out of stator are 1-blue 1-green 2-brown 3-yellow it is a new wiring harness guy before me put in , has not been running yet with all these new parts

Wires colors don't sound kosher? Is this an after market stator,someone rebuilt it? Was the pick up coil changed with the stator? Plus have you checked the resistance on the pickup coil wires?

Chucks04Sportsman 07-05-2013 01:17 PM

I checked the blue and green wire from pickup coil and comes out at 222ohms the old one with the white wires says 195ohms , , the stator was put in new with new pickup coil before i got it as well as new wire harness , I got new cdi from polaris , new ecm from polaris and new ignition coil from polaris ,
when i moved something it had good spark and ran and then shut off by it self and i restarted it a few times then no spark at all now had a very tiny spark , tried old cdi box and other ecm, nothing still

old polaris tech 07-05-2013 03:19 PM

Sounds like you need to give these people a call since you've replaced everything else.Ricky Stator

Chucks04Sportsman 07-05-2013 10:18 PM

old polaris tech

you think stator is no good ? it is new but not the color wires you told me , because i called a atv wrecking place and he said i could go up there bring quad and try parts and when i find what works i can just buy that but I have to bring quad there and try parts in parking lot ,
people saying kill switch but wouldn't it be no spark at all if it was kill switch ? anyhow willing to try almost anything at this point , as i said i did have it running then stalled out and tried to run again and then no spark again if you think its stator ill call that place and get one

old polaris tech 07-06-2013 09:22 AM

Swapping out different stators to see if they work is not too good of an idea!! It can damage other components that you've already installed,mainly the cdi!! Last thing you can try is pulling the black wire from the cdi module to eliminate any kill circuit that could be shorted to ground. If it has spark,then you could have a wiring problem in the left control on/off switch or the ignition switch itself.If still no spark after you've done that I'd order the correct stator for your model. You've gone this far already in replacing the cdi and coil..

Chucks04Sportsman 07-06-2013 10:43 AM

old polaris tech

Ok, ill have to go threw ricky stator and see what i can get , i unplugged the black wire and still no decent spark it is just a very very tiny spark threw wire wont spark threw a plug , so moreless just get stator and i take it that it will come with the pick up coil ? sorry to have alot of questions just frustrated and spent alot , anyhow do i have to gap the new pick up coil ?

old polaris tech 07-06-2013 01:32 PM

I know you're frustrated on this,but I seen this happen a lot on used machines. Study the wiring schematic on this pdf manual if you don't have a service manual to eliminate anything you may have missed such as a ground problem,etc. Last resort order a new stator.Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/2004